Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long do you keep your frozen stash?

Default How long do you keep your frozen stash?

Curious how long you keep your frozen stash before you consider it expired. I know most of the recommendations range anywhere from 3-6 mos in separate freezer. I have a side-by-side and my milk seems to stay "good" longer than 3mos. And how do you determine your milk is "expired"...by date alone, by smell, appearance, taste, LOs refusal to drink it?

This has never really been an issue for me because my stock was always well rotated when DD was at daycare. But, then I was on vacation for 8 weeks, so now I'm ready to dip back into the stash for the sitter.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: How long do you keep your frozen stash?

I've used milk that was 6 months old from a door freezer! It was for a much older baby (he was like 18-20 months) and it tasted fine, smelled fine, looked fine to me. He drank it!
    I imagine that the recommendations are based on a safe average and some moms have less time and maybe some have more. I really don't think we know all there is to know about milk storage yet!

Taken from breastfeed-essentials

One last word about the guidelines: Although the above is the latest published set of guidelines regarding safe storage times of breastmilk, keep in mind that these are just guidelines. It's wise to try to stay as close to them as possible, but milk that is older than the stated safe age, should not be automatically discarded. Milk that is truly bad has a very distinct sour taste and odor. Even if expressed milk is "out of date" it should still be considered safe to give a baby as long as it still has a fresh odor and/or taste.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    Thanks for that...I knew I had seen something like this somewhere and just couldn't find it. Right now I'm working through my stash from end of March (so 5mos old) and it has all smelled fine and DD is drinking it.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I only throw it out if it has a bad odor. The smell of bad milk is distinctive. We had a seperate freezer and DD drank some from that which was almost a year old just fine.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)