Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Change in stool frequency after diarrhea -- 8 weeks

Default Change in stool frequency after diarrhea -- 8 weeks

Hi,
    At six weeks, my exclusively breastfed daughter started having infrequent stools (every other day), but doc said that is normal. Last Tuesday night (5 nights ago), she started having frequent, green, watery stools (8 or so/day). PM nurse line my doc uses recommended increased breastfeeding and 2-4 oz of Pedialyte several times per day. She did not improve, so called doc on Thurs and he said it sounds like a virus that's going around and to stay the course. Friday night it still did not improve, so I called the nurse line, who told me to have her looked at. I took her to the ER and they said her hydration status is good so stop Pedialyte. The next day, she had only two mustardy, seedy stools with only a little green, which I thought was good. But today she has had six mustardy, seedy stools and they are very loose.

I am so worried that this is not normal because I was told that her earlier, every other day pattern was normal, and to top it all off, she is scheduled for vaccinations on Wednesday. I don't want her to get shots if this is not normal as it seems she needs to have as strong immune system as possible before getting shots. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Default Re: Change in stool frequency after diarrhea -- 8 weeks

It's totally normal for them to change stooling patterns all of a sudden, from one day to the next.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne....html#vomiting
    This is a good page on diarrhea in the Breadfed infant - it sounds like she might be getting back on track from the illness, also the Pedialyte might have had some effect that could be working itself out of her system.
    Looking out for dehydration is the goal, but it really sounds like she might be getting back to normal!
    Be prepared for her to switch it up on you, especially with things like teething!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

you can delay the shots if you want to, nothing wrong with that!

They say not to do shots until the baby is healthy. No reason to do it and be nervous, just bring the babe in when the illness has passed.

Thank you all so much. She hasn't gone yet today and has a good appetite, which is promising...

glad to hear it's going better!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!