Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did my pump hurt my supply?

Default Re: Did my pump hurt my supply?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*loganwyattsmommy View Post
    I'm having similar problems as well all of a sudden and am not sure what else to do. My son will be 4 months soon and within the last couple of weeks my supply has drastically gone done. I pump while at work every two hours but I just don't have enough supply when I'm feeing my son after work. I only pump at work to provide milk for daycare during the day and then nurse him in the evenings and on weekends. My supply has gone down so much that I have to give him 2-3 oz of formula after I nurse him for him to be satisfied. His sleep patterns have also changed. He's gone from sleeping through the night and needing his first feeding at 5 am to waking up 2 and three times a night wanting to eat. He doesn't care for formula and I really don't want to give it to him, but I haven't had much of a choice. I used to pump every 3-4 hours at work, but once my supply diminished, I increased it hopes of the correcting the situation. My supply increased somewhat, but I'm still struggling to get 3-4 5oz bottles for my son during the day. Any suggestions what else I can do???
    Some questions...are you using a rental pump? If not, you can consider renting a medical grade pump because they are the most effective. Is it possible that your pump is not working properly (worn out)?

Have you started taking any medication recently, particularly any hormonal form of contraceptive?

Have considered using anything to increase your supply? galactagogues

Would it be possible for you to add in a pumping session at home? Have you tried increasing the amount of time you are pumping (to see if you can get another let-down)?

I know you're discouraged. I believe things can improve.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

The pump I am using is brand new, we just bought it when I returned to work in July. The suction seems to be just fine. Yesterday I had a pretty good supply day. I was able to pump 15 oz through out the day. I gave my son a bottle of previously pumped milk once I got home and then I nursed him for the rest. He woke up three times during the night though. My supply seems to be coming back, but he's just not satisfied. Since he's close to being 4 months (9/5 he'll be 4 months), I'm considering starting him on rice cereal. Maybe since he's growing so fast, he just needs more nourishment. That possibly could have been why my supply "seemed" to go down. His demand increased and my body just took awhile to "catch up". So far today I seem to be on track with a good supply pumping as well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*loganwyattsmommy View Post
    The pump I am using is brand new, we just bought it when I returned to work in July. The suction seems to be just fine. Yesterday I had a pretty good supply day. I was able to pump 15 oz through out the day. I gave my son a bottle of previously pumped milk once I got home and then I nursed him for the rest. He woke up three times during the night though. My supply seems to be coming back, but he's just not satisfied. Since he's close to being 4 months (9/5 he'll be 4 months), I'm considering starting him on rice cereal. Maybe since he's growing so fast, he just needs more nourishment. That possibly could have been why my supply "seemed" to go down. His demand increased and my body just took awhile to "catch up". So far today I seem to be on track with a good supply pumping as well.
    You may be on to something when you say that his demand increased and your body just took a while to catch up. That is just how a growth spurt works.

Given that you say today seems more on track, I'm hopeful that your body is catching up to your growing baby!

Keep us informed.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader