Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeding self - veggies... help!

Default feeding self - veggies... help!

Hi!
    This isn't an "introducing" question, but I don't know where else to post...

My lo is almost 12 months old and loves her solids! She does really well with baby foods and loves to feed herself bread, o's, pieces of melon, peaches, banana, pasta, crackers, etc. I just can't get her to feed herself veggies... and she needs to learn to feed herself everything because she starts up at daycare again in a couple of weeks and they do not do any baby food in her room - the kids are encouraged to self-feed everything. She has 8 teeth in front, but nothing on the sides yet, if that makes a difference in your suggestions.

Any tips?

thanks!!

Default Re: feeding self - veggies... help!

Did you introduce fruits or veggies first? Will she flat out refuse to eat if veggies are the only things in front of her? The only thing I can think of is she just prefers the sweeter things and doesn't want to eat her veggies like most kids. The only thing I could recommend is to only give her veggies until she eats them, she won't starve herself KWIM?
    I know with DS we can't show him any fruit even if it's not on his plate, or he won't eat anything unless it's the fruit.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

She loves veggies if we're feeding them to her. Mostly in baby food form. What I'm asking is for tips for getting her to feed herself veggies. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

For example, she loves jarred baby food green beans, but won't eat a steamed green bean as finger food...

(by the way - She's the same way as yours about fruit! She loves it! Wheat bread is a close 2nd! )

Thanks!!!

Sorry no real help here just wanted to say sounds normal to me. They eat everything when they are fed but once they switch to self feeding they become selective.

For something different (if she can handle it in your opinion) try some frozen corn or peas...don't know why but it seems to respark the interest in veggies.
    2005 2008

Roasted green beans are really yummy. Drizzle fresh beans in olive oil, then roast in a 400 oven until they start to get nice and crispy. You can season as desired.

Sweet potato fries are also a big hit with my toddler.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Raw veggies are the easiest to get a baby or toddler to self feed IME.
    Baby Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumber spears
    Small pieces of corn of the Cob
    Broccoli

And Steamed artichokes work great as a finger food. Especially if you let them throw the leave into a big bowl!

Way too lazy for formula

another thought is she doesn't HAVE To have vegis throughout the day - you can offer then at breakfast and dinner IF the trials at the DCP don't pan out right now...

but having said that I'd still send some along to have them offer regardless

ETA - you can always hide them in sauces too
    Last edited by @llli*number3; August 16th, 2008 at 10:30 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

At that age we offered fruit as snacks, and veggies with dinner. If fruit was on the same plate as veggies, he always chose the fruit. At this age, all we have to say is "Don't put that in your mouth" and he will.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Raw snap peas. I forgot raw sugar snap peas!

Way too lazy for formula

I wouldn't worry too much about it. There is a good chance once your lo sees her peers at school eating something she will try it too.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.