Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Expose our baby to other babies?

Default Expose our baby to other babies?

Our son is 14 days old, and as far as I know, the only vaccination he's received is the hepatitis-B he got at the hospital. We have friends with 3-month and 9-month old babies, and we all wanted to know if it was safe to bring these other babies around Colton. We're not worried about him contracting anything serious necessarily, but wanted to know if there were any risks with newborns in the first few weeks.

Default Re: Expose our baby to other babies?

Our ped recc. that we stay "home" for at least 6 wks after DS was born. We went out but stayed away from busy public areas ect. I don't think I would let such a young baby around other kids/babies right now. Even if they're not showing signs of being sick they could still pass on a cold to your LO if they've been with other kids with colds. Our DS just got over his first cold (he's 4mos). It was really stressful - poor little guy couldn't breathe and it was hard for him to eat. I think it would have been really scary if he'd have gotten sick when he was only a few weeks old. Just my opinion...

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I guess it all depends on the family. I had my 3rd child in February, and to try to avoid PPD I was out as much as I could be...I felt that I needed to be around people to help my mental health. We went to a bible study when dd was only 3 days old...it was the day after I got out of the hospital. I felt really good and wanted to be out, and although there were other kids around, they weren't allowed to be too close to the baby, and weren't allowed to touch her unless they thoroughly washed their hands first. It was cold and flu season, so we took those extra precautions. Some thought I was nuts, but I was comfortable with it, I figured my older 2 were going to be there with their daddy and bring home everything anyways, so there wasn't much of a difference...I avoided very populated places like the stores and things as long as I could, but to be around friends, I just went for it. DD didn't suffer any colds or flu or anything, and I think nursing helps a lot with that as well...so I guess you just have to decide what is best for your family and how well you are feeling after just giving birth...but be careful, I felt good after dd2 and went to all of our Christmas functions (she was born dec.23 and I made them let me out on Christmas eve) and I overdid it (even though I wasn't 'doing' anything besides sitting) and felt sick from being overly tired...
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

I think is more of a personal preference. I was never advise with any of my babies to stay away from people, my babies were expose to the outdoors from the day they were out of the hospital. But I wouldn't want anyone all over my babies' faces, especially if they look like they were sick. You got to do whatever you feel comfortable doing, if you don't feel OK taking the baby out don't do it then.

HTH

Well.... It really is up to you. I would not let them in the babies face or really let them touch her too much and as long as there are not sick I think that you would be fine. I always just think of it like this, if you had older children who were in school then she would be exposed anyway. Not being vaccinated should not really matter except for the whooping cough, Thomas is 15 months and has never been vaccinated, our only real concern when he was very wee was whooping cough, as infant mortality rate under a year is pretty high. All the best!

At the clinic where am supposed to deliver at all the other clinics in my area children are not allowed getting in the room with the mother and the baby. At my clinic there is a playroom for the children. Now it depends on you. Actually, if the weather is good and you can stay in the garden or in an an open are. Now if it was winter i think i would have been a little bit stressed. All my friemds have 4-8 month old children. I don't know there will be any problem...

My ped also recommended that we stay at home for the first 6 weeks. However, my son is 4 months old and hasn't been sick yet (knock on wood!) except for a mild ear infection (he has it now) and that has nothing to do with being around people (reflux babies have more ear infections). He is FF at the moment (I'm relactating). It's all a personal prefferene.

Good luck!

My DS is 8 months old and was born in early December. Due to him being born in early winter, our Ped. advised us to keep him home and visitors to a minimum. He said that it is very dangerous for a newborn to get the common cold. He also wanted us to keep him out of the church nursery as long as possible (he recommended 6 months, but we did not wait quite that long). He also stressed disinfecting and handwashing. He did however say that he would not be quite so strict if DS was born in the spring or summer.

You will find that different doctors will have different restrictions and you should make your decision based on your level of comfort. I guess you could say DH and I were a bit germaphobic when it really came down to it (I think our dr's scared us into it), but I would rather be overly cautious than possibly have a sick baby.

DS didn't get even a sniffle until after he weaned at 9 months. It was almost immediatly after we were exclusively on the bottle. Figures! We were the first among our friends to have a baby so he wasn't exposed to a lot of kids but I like to think it was the breastfeeding that kept him from getting sick for so long.
    Amanda Wife to my wonderful husband 06_98
    Breastfeeding, Sling Wearing, Co-sleeping, Cloth Diapering Mom to my Intact Boys
    DS #1 - 02_02 BF'ed for 9 Months and
    DS #2 - 10_06 Currently BF'ed 22 Months and still going.

I must be a lunatic...I took my 4 day old son out to a museum gallery opening in February! It was bitterly cold! My stitches were hurting soo bad by the time I got home. But he was angelic in his little carrier and caused quite a stir...everyone wanted to see the new baby. He was fine...he didn't get sick. I never really paid much attention to that...now I am wondering if I should have?