Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis in week 2

Unhappy Mastitis in week 2

I have now developed mastitis in my second week, after having latching problems and cracked, bleeding nipples.

After 3 days of antibiotics, maybe I am feeling better? My breast is still hot, still red, and hurts—but not as badly. The fever and achiness has stopped.

However, my baby won't latch onto the infected side—at all. I pump, and pump, but each time it yields less and less—like 1/2 ounce, and today, nothing.
    I still nurse with my good breast, but what am I to do when he has drained it and still screams for more? I know people can feed exclusively on one side, but it takes time to double your supply. I feel like I have no choice but to formula feed him what I cannot provide right now.

He is getting no nipple confusion going from bottle to nipple, which is good. But I need help here. Part of me really wants to bag nursing all together. It's painful, difficult, and emotionally draining.

Any words of advice?

Default Re: Mastitis in week 2

It is so easy to get milk from a bottle than it is from your breast and you are probably right he has nipple confusion. He may also prefer the breast without the infection because you have been favoring it during the sore times and has gotten used to laying on that side to nurse. If you traditionally use the cradle hold try the football hold for the infected side or use a pillow so he can lay on his same side while nursing the infected breast. Also you are going to have a real hard time building up a milk supply when using bottles since humans are naturally lazy creatures. Get some fenugreek or blessed thistle (my personnal favorite) and some mothers milk tea (yogi brand is my favorite). I am usually ingorges within 24 hours of using blessed thistle and I have a good increase the morning after drinking the tea. Keep trying I cannot tell you how rewarding nursing has been and how dissappointed I was to have my milk dry up on my 3rd baby. Start him out on the "good" side and then let him suckle on the infected side until he gets used to it. Lay down to nurse him!! Sleep with him and let him suckle the infected side all night!! Sleeping with him will also help clear any plugged ducts and may help you prevent a repeat of this experience. To get your supply up forget everything except you and the baby and have a nurse in. Do nothing but watch good movies and nurse with PLENTY of water!!!! I hope this helps!!

For me I would stop the bottles right now and have a nurse in, let him suck and suck I promise he is not going hungry you will give him enough he is probably just complaining about having to work for his food. Contact your local LLL leader for in person support!!
    Last edited by smnunez; February 2nd, 2006 at 07:48 PM.

Hey, there...I literally feel your pain. Well, I DID. I had mastitis 3x in 3 weeks, sounds fun, uhh? My guy is now 9 weeks old & refuses the breast. In the meantime, I'm trying to relacate.

Please try to nurse through your infected breast. I know...it sucks. But it's going to help YOU so much. I can't tell you how many doctors told me not to and when they left the room, their nurses told that was nonsense. It's super important to try.

And you know...smnunez, I've been on More Milk Plus by Motherlove (which has both fenugreek and blessed thistle) for 5 days now and I am not seeing an increase. And yes, I smell like pickin' maple syrup!!!!

I had mastitis over Christmas. Was a bad girl didn't go to the hospital with my fever and chills, thought it would just go away in time. Four days later still had fever and chills so I went to the doctors put me on antibiotics also. My ds did exactly what your son is doing. Only I got lucky had enough milk supply in the breast that he favoured. What I found work for us was to begin nursing on the affected breast each and every feed. If that didn't work then I would nurse just long enough on the favoured breast and switch to the other one mid way through. It work enough to keep a milk supply in my right breast. Now about 4 wks later ds nurses on both breasts again. It's taking time to decrease milk supply in left and increase it in right, but it's coming along really well now. So just keep up the good work, if I could get through it, I'm most definately sure that with time and patience you'll get through it too. I didn't add any pumping at all, but if it you like go ahead and add pumping in there at times.

Let us know how everything is going for you. Keep up all the good work, you'll get past it.

I had mastitis continually from about 3 weeks until about 10 weeks. It sucked, and I wanted to give up. Somehow, I struck it out, and now bf is going great (she is 11 months old).

Nipple confusion does not seem confusion as much as preference. My baby developed it at about 7 weeks. So, I would not offer bottles. It can definitely create one more incredible challenge.

At 2 weeks, your son is going to cry a lot. And, he is going to nurse almost constantly (this is called cluster feeding). But, it does not mean you are not producing enough. Your breast makes milk as the baby nurses. Try to have the baby nurse a lot on the infected side. If that doesn't work, pump pump pump.

Good luck! Bf is so hard at the beginning. But, most issues do correct themselves by 2-3 months.

I'm so sorry you're having difficulties! I can tell that you're really frustrated by all this. My suggestion would be to continue to pump often on the affected side (even if you're not getting much milk, the stimulation is important), continue to *offer* the affected side whenever you can. A couple ideas for getting your baby to take the "bad" side - offer it when he's really sleepy or in active sleep. Babyes are more likely to latch on instinctively at those times. Hold your baby in a cradle position and nurse for a few minutes on the "good" side, then after a few minutes, unlatch baby with your finger, and without changing his position, slide him over to the other breast and attempt to latch him on.

If he still won't take that side, continue to offer the other side as often as he needs - your one breast WILL be able to meet his needs, you just may have to nurse more frequently for a few days until your supply is built up a bit more.

I would also highly recommend you visit a LLL Leader or IBCLC in person - she can give you in-person tips on ways to encourage your baby to take the other side. Hopefully, as the mastitis clears up, your baby will start taking that side again - sometimes mastitis can change the flavor of the milk, and some babies don't like that as much.

Good luck and please keep us updated!

Kerry

Boy do I remember having mastitis. My baby did not want to latch either. But to releave pain and to help clear it up I would take HOT baths and pump right after. You have to massage the infected side in the water and when you pump also massage. After the infection cleared up she began to latch on the once infected side and my supply even came back up as well. It's like your body knows the infection has cleared. If you do only feed from one side it will be enough to feed your little one. I remember always thinking she was not getting enough until she took a big breath and milk came running out of her mouth. Keep up the good work and don't give up!

Ouch! (And all my sympathy.)

Mastitis was a problem with my first and third babies in the early weeks. My first baby gained slowly and in retrospect I think there were problems with the way he latched on that went unobserved. With the third baby, I decided after "round three" that for me it was at least partially related to wearing tight underwire bras.

I found relief in hot showers with gentle massage followed by hand expressing to help unclog ducts. Very effective and soothing and a good time for a few cleansing tears if needed. Afterwards I would breastfeed the baby.

A heating pad on the lowest setting against the affected area for an hour or so here and there was very comforting and helpful.

A day, or at least an afternoon and evening in bed with baby was helpful, too. Extra time to breastfeed and nap helped me recover and establish or restablish milk supply.

I hope you feel better REAL SOON!

Dedra

I just suffered a second bout of mastitis. This time more painful. I found that my ds still actually preferred the infected site and let me tell you I so badly wanted to cry and cry. Some how I managed to get through it. Finally though today I got some meds that is taking the infection away. If the infection didn't shrink quite abit then it was into the hospital to have it drained. That sounds so painful. Trust me, stick it out pain and all. It'll pay off in the end.