Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ready to Quit BFing

Default Ready to Quit BFing

I am so ready to quit breastfeeding yet I don't want to. My twins are 4 weeks old and have major issues with allergies to milk and soy. My little girl is better then my little boy. My son is on Nutramigen formula and I supplimented him with bm. I pump and don't get a full supply so we top off with formula. He has blood and mucus in his stools and is so uncomfortable. I took him off bm 48 hrs ago and have seen a vast improvement in his behavior. He's sleeping more and isn't as fussy(knock wood???) I don't know what I can and can't eat. I've tried giving up dairy and it's so hard. I just don't know how we can survive this. My daughter seems to be very gassy and uncomfortable the past 2 days. I've been giving her all the bm. I don't know what foods, besides veggies and dairy to give up for moilk and soy allergies. I want to continue bfing but I am so stressed out that I'm hurting my babies with my eating or whatnot.

Default Re: Ready to Quit BFing

Hi there,
    I'm so sorry to hear that you are struggling so much. To be certain, nursing ONE newborn can be challenging and taxing. Add to it another baby and allergies/sensitivies and I can only imagine just how hard it is. But do try to keep in mind that breastmilk isn't just food. It provides your babies with so much more! Your babies gain your immunities and your breastmilk protects them from disease, both in the short-term and the long-term.

I recently worked with a mom who's baby is allergic to dairy and soy. I can tell you that this mother survived on turkey and potatoes, for the most part. Now her baby is 6 months old and she's able to incorporate more and more things into her diet. I know that she felt overwhelmed in the beginning, just like you are. She joined an online support group for parents of children with allergies -- POKAF. I've personally never visited the group and you should know that they aren't an approved LLL source. However, they were able to help my friend sort through her issues. You'll have to do your homework, that's for sure. She really had to read labels and buy special foods to eat.

I hope you are able to work through this! Best of luck to you!

Hi, I don't have anything to add to what Carol said, but I just wanted to let you know that I think you are so amazing to breastfeed twins. I cannot imagine the challenges, and then the allergies on top of that. I hope you can find a way to sort through this since you want to continue breastfeeding. Breastfeeding really is such a wonderful gift to give your children. Just wanted to offer my encouragement. Good luck!

I also can't imagine nursing twins! You have already made it a month and that is incredible. I hope you get the support and information you need. Have you considered attending an LLL meeting? I had some rough spots with my girls in the beginning and don't know what I would have done without the support of my friends and Leaders of my group!

I just wanted to let you know that it is possible to eat food without having dairy and soy. My youngest is allergic to dairy, soy, eggs and peanuts and I eat fruits, veggies, and meats. If you have a helth food store near you they will have specialized foods for allegy suffers. A good brand if EnJoy Life. Good Luck!
    Also, most babies out grow their food allergies, esp with the symptoms you are describing.

Alexjake,
    I am sorry that you are having so much trouble and CONGRATS on your twins. I have been in your shoes, minus the twins and really encourage you to go to the Breastfeeding with Allergies section and read my latest and Longest posts on our diet. I think that it is called recipes and help? Maybe, Mine is the 5th post on that thread, and I think I wrote it to mommmyof1? I have written a lot on this sub BC of my ds's allergies. Let me know if I can be of any more help?!?

AlexaJake,

You are amazing! That must be stressul. I just wanted to send my encouragement. Good luck to you.

Wow!! I hope you let us know in the future how you are doing. I have 4 kids and I have tandem nursed 2 at a time and I found that hard! I can't imagine 2 newbies. You are amazing. I hope you can manage to keep nursing. You have come to the right place for support. I am thinking about you.
    Christine