Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ds throws himself at food at only 5 months

Default ds throws himself at food at only 5 months

anyone else deal with this? I mean, if he sees food he hurls his body towards it (really hurting my wrist yesterday ). Aside from the fact that he's only around 5 months, he's not developmentally ready for solids either. He's not sitting without support yet, he hasn't mastered the pincher grasp, and he still has the tongue thrust reflex.

"Not having food around him" is not an option. I mean I barely have a moment to myself as it is, I can't imagine trying to wait to eat until he was in another room. I've stopped eating with him in my lap, and instead I've been putting him in his saucer on the floor next to me so that he really can't see all that's there, but he still knows

Last night he saw ds1 eating some birthday cake and actually drooled on the floor

It seems that he smells it too. He always demands to nurse when dinner starts to smell from the oven.

so, anyone else btdt? It's better to wait right? I mean just because he "wants" it doesn't mean he's ready for it, right?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: ds throws himself at food at only 5 months

It sounds like you're on the right track watching for his physical readiness signs. A lot of times at that age they really want to imitate us in the activities that we do. Meal time is just as much a social time as it is about eating. You could give him a bowl and a spoon to play with. A sippy cup with some breastmilk. A breastmilk popsicle.

I probably wouldn't eat with him in my lap. Does he have a high chair yet? You could put him in there with a sippy of breastmilk. Or I have read that some people give their child a sippy with some ice cubes in it. Its fun to shake, etc.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

DD started eating solids at 4 mo. but she was ready IMO. Its just when it feels right to you and he is developmentally ready (BTW-pincer grasp develops over time. DD has perfected hers over the months)
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

My also 5-mo. DD is the same way-she wants to put just about everything in her mouth and drools a lot! It's one way of exploring their world at that age, not IMO a sign that they're necessarily ready for solids.
    We will wait until at least 6 months. She's growing well and thriving so I'd prefer to delay the hassle, mess, and stinky diapers for a couple more months!!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

yeah, I think I just needed some reassurances. I've had a couple of people say "oh, that's a sin, give him some cereal" and "he's obviously ready for solids" etc..
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

you've been already reassured, as you also say in your last post, but let me share a piece of wisdom I read somewhen on this board, coming from djs.mom:
    sure s/he's throwing her/himself to food, wanting to try everything, but it's a normal healthy curiousness for the new, it doesn't mean:
    1) that s/he actually wants to EAT what's trying to grab (taking it to the mouth doesn't count, it's a sensorial tool, the mouth, at this time of life, just like fingers);
    2) s/he is actually ready to eat it.
    Every 10 mo will give his or her life to fiddle around with the car keys, this doesn't mean they want to learn how to drive! and even if they wanted, surely I wouldn't teach them...
    I think this comparison is pure genius, I have used it A LOT in many occasions since I've read it!

stick to your istinct and wait, you're surely not depriving your LO of anything, all the contrary!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Momcicles worked great at that age for ds.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

My son was the same, and I assumed he was going to be a great eater. I held him off until exactly 6 months and then embarked down the path of solid foods with great expectations. Oh yeah, he loved to grab for it, but actually eat it? No way! We struggled and struggled with solids and I still have a very picky eater on my hands (now 2.5 yrs) - but he's still loving the breastmilk of course!

Our DS got the green light from the dr. for starting solids at 4 months. He said that usually BF babies wait but our DS has developed very well and may be ready. We did start solids just after 4 months. He was a natural. We have only given him 1tbs of cereal 1x a day for 2 weeks now. Veggies will be started soon.

When you are ready, and your baby, you will know.
    Proud mother to a 24 wk preemie girl, born 9/6/04 and to a full term baby boy, born 4/9/08.