Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lots and lots of extra milk...

Default Lots and lots of extra milk...

I was exclusively pumping for the first 4 weeks of life and had a great supply. I kept it all because I thought my son wouldn't be going to breast and I'd need to for when I couldn't keep up with the pumping. Now he is going to breast and even though I'll need some back-up milk for when I go back to work, I don't think I'll need a entire freezer full! I have milk from all of June and July (probably over 1,000 ozs) that I don't think I'll need. I doubt I can donate it since it is already frozen in baggies. I know I can use it in his cereal etc but by then itprobably won't be good anymore. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can use this/donate? I HATE to throw it out!!!!

Default Re: Lots and lots of extra milk...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babytalk View Post
    I was exclusively pumping for the first 4 weeks of life and had a great supply. I kept it all because I thought my son wouldn't be going to breast and I'd need to for when I couldn't keep up with the pumping. Now he is going to breast and even though I'll need some back-up milk for when I go back to work, I don't think I'll need a entire freezer full! I have milk from all of June and July (probably over 1,000 ozs) that I don't think I'll need. I doubt I can donate it since it is already frozen in baggies. I know I can use it in his cereal etc but by then itprobably won't be good anymore. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can use this/donate? I HATE to throw it out!!!!
    You can donate it! Is it frozen in bags made for breast milk? (Lasninoh, Medela, etc) I EP and I have the same situation. I have a huge freezer stash that I would have never used in time, so I have donated A LOT of milk to HMBANA. If you contact the closest milk bank to you they should let you know if you meet the criteria for donation and let you know what else you need to do. Here is the website:

http://www.hmbana.org/
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

It will be a very good gesture to donate your milk. I was viewing the link that the pp provided and it seems like a very good thing to do. They will transfer your milk obviously after pasteurization etc to children in hospitals.

to you
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

I think it's dangerous to assume. What do you do for work? I have seen SOOO many women here experience real dips in supply as well as perceived dips because the DCP assumes that as babies get older they need to drink way more than they really do. Sometimes the freezer supply is what helps a women hit her original goal. Can you deep freeze it? SO it's good for 6months? And then begin to do some rotating? Are you allowing your DH to feed one bottle a day? Are you still pumping? I would hate to see you donate it all and then experience supply issues. I would begin making sure that the oldest stuff gets rotated into your life. A baby that never has a bottle may refuse when it's time to go back to work. As long as your baby is older than 4 weeks, I think letting DH give a bottle a day is a good way to begin to work it into your life if you haven't already. HTH.

Way too lazy for formula

with everything said. I donated extra milk as well but I always keep it until right at 6 mo. in my deep freeze.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

I am glad to hear that PP thinks the milk banks may accept my milk even though it is stored in lansinoh bags. I probably have over 1,000 ozs. Even in 6months I don't think I'll use all that! I do plan to cycle through my supply and wouldn't donate it all. I have a very, very established supply (while my husband gave him a bottle this am I pumped 14 ounces!) and my employer is extremely supportive of pumping.

Also, thanks for the heads up about DCP sometimes overfeeding baby! I will definitely keep an eye on that. I do find that my baby will eat and eat and eat when he is one the bottle, only to spit up half the meal later.

I have started giving my baby a bottle and although it wasn't easy at first, he is taking it pretty well now from anyone besides me. I am going to have my husband give him a bottle a day until I start work in two weeks.

Thanks for your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babytalk View Post
    I am glad to hear that PP thinks the milk banks may accept my milk even though it is stored in lansinoh bags. I probably have over 1,000 ozs. Even in 6months I don't think I'll use all that! I do plan to cycle through my supply and wouldn't donate it all. I have a very, very established supply (while my husband gave him a bottle this am I pumped 14 ounces!) and my employer is extremely supportive of pumping.
    I've donated a ton of milk frozen in Lansinoh bags. Good luck to you!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine