Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Color Changing Milk- Yellowish to White?

Default Color Changing Milk- Yellowish to White?

I may have what seems like an odd question, but I am curious to find out if this has happened to other mom's, or if it is normal, or a variation...

When my DD was a newborn and I had to pump, my milk was a cream/yellowish color. It remained this way until she was 2 1/2 months old. One day, I was pumping with a friend at work (pumping buddies are fun! ), and I realized that my milk had turned white, like cow's milk! We could now easily tell our milk apart by the color (kept in the same fridge). Her milk, however, remained the yellowish/cream. My new pumping buddy had the yellowish/creamish milk until yesterday, when hers too turned white. Has this happened to anyone else? Does if have to do with weight of the baby? Caloric/fat needs of the baby (and is that a word?)? My LO is a chunk, and hers is on the long and lean side.

thanks!
    EDD 6/21/10
    BF Madeline Grace since 2/5/2008
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

Default Re: Color Changing Milk- Yellowish to White?

The fat and water content of your milk alters based on your child's needs. Did you know that when its hotter outside, you have a higher water content in your milk to quench your baby's thirst?

Also, I think I read that some vitamins/minerals/supplements can alter the colour of your milk.

I think thats so cool that you have pumping buddies @ work!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I don't pump a lot, but it seems like my milk looks different every time I do. It sounds like your LO is doing great weight-wise so I hope you aren't worried about it. It can change color based on diet too.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I was just recently noticing that my LO seems to "drink" more lately. We live in AZ, and it is VERY hot. She seems to more often drink the foremilk (just during letdown) and then pull off and be done.

Pumping buddies make it so much more enjoyable to pump! We get to talk about our babies and nursing while we are being "milked".
    EDD 6/21/10
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    I don't pump a lot, but it seems like my milk looks different every time I do. It sounds like your LO is doing great weight-wise so I hope you aren't worried about it. It can change color based on diet too.
    Oh no, my LO is quite the chunker! I just found it interesting that the milk went from yellowish to white. We always joke that I must serve "cream", and so it's funny that it actually looks like white cream!

thanks! I totally get into this breastfeeding stuff...my friends think I am a little crazy!
    EDD 6/21/10
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

Imagine my surprise when my milk had a blue tint to it all the sudden

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I believe for the first couple of months the milk still has colostrum in it, giving it a yellow hue. The change in color from yellow to white also happened to me at around the same time. My husband was so glad that it wasn't staining as much.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Smile Re: Color Changing Milk- Yellowish to White?

in my experience, whats going on is completely normal. at first my milk was so thick and a little off white. my mom called it french vanilla cream (it looked like the flavored coffee creamer). then after a few months it turned white. unless i was taking my whole foods multi vitamin... then my milk was greenish. and there have been times when it was blueish. so unless its bloody... then i think its normal haha
    I'm Jamie, and im Proud to be:
    Carter's SAHM since 11-27-07 and now to Eli too, since 7-25-11
    Cody's Wife since 8-28-08

and and

my healthy boys don't get vaccines

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    I believe for the first couple of months the milk still has colostrum in it, giving it a yellow hue.

My milk did the same thing- started out yellow and turned white. It's normal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mine turns a little greenish when I take vegetarian vitamins...
    DS 11/16/07 :: Infant reflux and milk protein intolerance, egg and peanut allergies