Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Oral Surgery... no BF for 3-4 days :/

Default Re: Oral Surgery... no BF for 3-4 days :/

10 1/2 might be a little early. It depends. Each baby is different. I think they say 12 mos because by then, in most cases, a baby's digestive system is ready to handle dairy.

Our daughter got a full 8 oz bottle of cows milk shortly after her first birthday. She was constipated the next day. We weren't sure if it was the milk, so we didn't give her any more until a few weeks ago and now she only gets one bottle that is half, though we're going to be making that 2 soon.

Have you called a his pedi and asked if they have a LC that works with their office? Many pedi's will at the least have an IBCLC they either work with directly or they can refer folks to. Most insurance doesn't cover them but some do. They should have some info or know where to point you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cartersmommy View Post
    btw, i emailed dr jack newman and he emailed back and said that it was fine to breastfeed immediately afterward if i felt up to it. and that the anesthesia will not enter the milk in a large enough amount to harm him. so... yay!!!
    SOunds like you're in the clear!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

im sure everyone has forgotten all this by now... but i got them out today and everything went great. i breastfed carter a few hours after i got home and he didnt act sleepy later or anything.thanks so much to everyone who gave me advice...i dont know what i would have done without all you mamas!
    I'm Jamie, and im Proud to be:
    Carter's SAHM since 11-27-07 and now to Eli too, since 7-25-11
    Cody's Wife since 8-28-08

and and

my healthy boys don't get vaccines

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cartersmommy View Post
    im sure everyone has forgotten all this by now... but i got them out today and everything went great. i breastfed carter a few hours after i got home and he didnt act sleepy later or anything.thanks so much to everyone who gave me advice...i dont know what i would have done without all you mamas!

I didn't forget mama, my Surgery is in 1 week Friday the 17th, reading this made me stress a little less
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    just an FYI but i was a vet tech for several years and Ketamine is commonly used as an animal tranquilizer. i don't know if that would help with the search. i wonder if Susan, 'aprilsmagic', might now the human half life? i think she is a Vet.
    Very, very late to this thread -- I somehow missed it first time around -- but ketamine is a very commonly used human AND animal dissociative agent. I like it for cats and as part of a combo in the equine. Used to use it in dogs, in combination with diazepam (Valium) or midazolam (which is very closely related to diazepam) until I found a reversible drug I like better. I also love propofol as it's super easy to use and the awakening is very, very smooth, which is probably why it's great for human pediatric surgery. Ketamine is often used in primate medicine in zoos and labs.

I can't find the exact human half-life of ketamine, but I suspect it's very short, like 2.5-3 hours, as it is highly and rapidly distributed among tissues in the body post-injection and very rapidly metabolized by the liver. It is actually very commonly used in operations on pregnant women, as it has virtually no effect on the fetus, but it can increase contractions and uterine basal tone in both pregnant and non-pregnant women. I have used it as part of a cocktail to get dogs under for emergency C-sections.

It also has a painkiller effect, which is nice.

Street name for ketamine is Special K.

Glad the surgery went well.

I tend to avoid the narcotic painkillers for myself. They make me barf and too sleepy; I remember when I had my wisdom teeth removed some years ago (I had gas and a local for impacted bottom) they gave me Percoset. Vomiting afterwards was horrible. They can also have other GI side effects. I tend to rotate ibuprofen and acetominepin to better effect, and you can ask the doctor for the "prescription dose," which is like 800 mg ibuprofen, but I can't remember how much Tylenol.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I remembered too! I'm so glad things went great for you. Thanks for giving us an update. This will be here for other mother's searching who are in similar situations.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

lidarln - i was expecting this to be much much worse than it was. my face isnt even swollen at all. and the worst part about it was having to keep the gauze in your mouth for like 4 hours. but i have had almost NO pain since i took the gauze out. dont stress, its not as bad as everyone says

they gave me someting that started with an F for nausea to take 15 minutes before the percocet and i never got nauseaus (thank god). but it made me sleep all day. i would wake up and cody would be putting carter onto my boob to eat, it was so funny.

anyway, thanks again mamas!
    I'm Jamie, and im Proud to be:
    Carter's SAHM since 11-27-07 and now to Eli too, since 7-25-11
    Cody's Wife since 8-28-08

and and

my healthy boys don't get vaccines