Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oral Surgery... no BF for 3-4 days :/

Default Re: Oral Surgery... no BF for 3-4 days :/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cartersmommy View Post
    oops... i meant ketamine.

so according to that info you found.. would you suggest not BFing for a couple days or what?
    Well I can't suggest anything for you since that's medical advice and I don't have a license! The only thing that stays in your system for longer than hours is used in pediatric patents, Hale says that very small amounts were detected and not a cause for concern. So perhaps you could ask about Ketamine and it's Adult half life and if they've seen any adverse reactions with children/babies/nursing mothers.
    Any risks have to be weighted against the risk of not nursing for that time too - I know it's not an easy decision! I hope this info helps you
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I do want to add, you can call your Local Leader about the Ketamine and have her ask her medical support liaison about it. They might have more information on that drug or even all of the drugs, usually they can get back with you pretty quick if it's time sensitive like your situation is.
    As a Leader I cannot say if something is safe or not, just give you all the info I have to help you and your dr make the decision!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Not LLL links but here's what i found on ketamine.... it's actually a dis-associative anesthetic, and everything I've found says it has a 2.5 -3 hour half life...

http://www.drugs.com/pro/ketamine.html
    http://drugsafetysite.com/ketamine

If it were me I'd do the same as Leslie mentioned above, pump and dump for two feedings giving pre expressed bottles for those feedings, by then if you *feel* less drugged up, i would think you would be okay to nurse....

I'll be having a myomectomy in early October and I am having fears about the drugs used while BF as well. HTH
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

everyone has been sooo helpful! so, a big thank you to everyone!!

i really want to continue BFing. i had thought about giving him some milk from my freezer stash for a first few hours and P&D while he had that. so when Leslie mentioned that it kind of made me feel more confident in that decision.

thank you all so much again, you guys are great
    I'm Jamie, and im Proud to be:
    Carter's SAHM since 11-27-07 and now to Eli too, since 7-25-11
    Cody's Wife since 8-28-08

and and

my healthy boys don't get vaccines

please let us know how your surgery goes!!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

my appointment is not until october 10th... but i wanted to start getting info early so that i could work on building that huge 3 days supply if i had to.

and and

way to plan ahead, bet it feels good to have a plan!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cartersmommy View Post
    my appointment is not until october 10th... but i wanted to start getting info early so that i could work on building that huge 3 days supply if i had to.

sounds like we'll both be 'going down' around the same day
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

He'll be almost a year then, won't he? Might you be able to give him some cow's milk? Perhaps have one or two bottles while you are dumping be half cows and half breast?

Of course, it depends on how he takes it... but it's something I'd consider, depending on family history and such. There's nothing magic about 12 months, so a few days before might not necessarily hurt.

he will be about 10 1/2 months old. that is definitely something to consider! i have been wondering a lot about why all of a sudden when your baby turns one cows milk is ok, but not at 11 months. what happens at 12 months that doesnt happen at 10 or even 11 1/2 months??

btw, i emailed dr jack newman and he emailed back and said that it was fine to breastfeed immediately afterward if i felt up to it. and that the anesthesia will not enter the milk in a large enough amount to harm him. so... yay!!!

and and