Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oral Surgery... no BF for 3-4 days :/

Default Re: Oral Surgery... no BF for 3-4 days :/

Do you HAVE to have them out now?

I only ask because they recommended I get mine out, when I got mine out, but after the fact I found out I didn't have to get them out. I wasn't fully under, only under with nitrous ox. they weren't worried about that but told me I had to stop due to the pain meds. Wasn't I very ANGRY when I found out years later I didn't have to stop after all.

Look into every option here mama, talk to ever peson involved. Check out not only jack newman but Thomas Hales site as MANY meds can be used safely with a nursling... especailly an older one.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thank you so much everyone for your responses. they really helped and opened my eyes up to the fact that i might not have to pump and dump.

i printed off the info from the sites you all gave and showed my hubby and we are going to call the dr. tomorrow to see what kind of anesthesia/pain pills they use.

i am getting all of them out at once (i only have 3, two top and one bottom)... i would wait until after he turns one to get them out, but i have to do it asap because of insurance stuff.

thanks again everyone for all the advice!
    I'm Jamie, and im Proud to be:
    Carter's SAHM since 11-27-07 and now to Eli too, since 7-25-11
    Cody's Wife since 8-28-08

and and

my healthy boys don't get vaccines

ok so i just got off the phone with the oral surgeons office...

they said they use ketmine, versed (aka midazolam) , and diprivan (aka propofol) to put patients to sleep. and then after they are awake prescribe them oxycodone.

according to the website LLLJessica gave me, ketamine has not been rated for approval by the AAP for breastfeeding. Versed is rated concern. and diprivan is not rated. the lactation risks are all moderately safe or better. and oxycodone has not been rated for approval but is considered moderately safe (and to watch LO for sedation).

what do you all think i should do? the ratings werent the best... but they also didnt say to not BF (only one said concern). i dont have a family dr because i never get sick and we dont really believe in drs (we do everything we can naturally). but even if i did have a dr, i trust you mamas more than drs!

and and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cartersmommy View Post

they said they use ketmine, versed (aka midazolam) , and diprivan (aka propofol) to put patients to sleep. and then after they are awake prescribe them oxycodone.

according to the website LLLJessica gave me, ketamine has not been rated for approval by the AAP for breastfeeding. Versed is rated concern. and diprivan is not rated. the lactation risks are all moderately safe or better. and oxycodone has not been rated for approval but is considered moderately safe (and to watch LO for sedation).

what do you all think i should do? the ratings werent the best... but they also didnt say to not BF (only one said concern). i dont have a family dr because i never get sick and we dont really believe in drs (we do everything we can naturally). but even if i did have a dr, i trust you mamas more than drs!
    I got my wisdom teeth out a few years back b4 we started having babies, so the only advice I can give you is about the pain med. for after the surgery. What the oral surgeon gave me made me very ill. The side effects actually included vomitting, but they didn't tell me that, and I couldn't have read about it because I was in horrible pain and loopy from being under GA and having the gas too. I got SO sick...it was horrible.

I ended up just using ibuprofen(Advil) for the pain, and while it didn't make me completely pain free, it did take the edge off enough for me to function well. I had to take it for a few days, and then I could handle things without it. I think that you can also take Ibuprofen and tylenol alternating in a rotation to relieve even more pain, and I think that it's relatively safe for a bfing baby, but don't quote me, ask the pediatrician to be sure.

BTW, I had to have surgery to remove all 4 of my wisdom teeth, so there was quite a bit of work done that might necessitate pain relief, but otc pain meds did a good enough job for me. It's something to consider, if you don't want to choose the oxycodone.

I also had mine removed surgically, but I never had to take the prescribed meds afterward. I used ibuprofin (advil) and it worked great for me and it is safe to take while nursing. As for the other meds, you can write to Dr. Newman (see my previous post for a link) and ask him about the specific meds. I've heard other mamas say he writes back pretty quickly.

Good luck!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

The big thing about the meds they are giving you during surgery is the half life or how long it takes for the medication to leave your system. I will look and see tonight if there is a half life listed for those you listed in Medications and Mothers Milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I also had mine removed surgically, but I never had to take the prescribed meds afterward. I used ibuprofin (advil) and it worked great for me and it is safe to take while nursing. As for the other meds, you can write to Dr. Newman (see my previous post for a link) and ask him about the specific meds. I've heard other mamas say he writes back pretty quickly.
    Good luck!
    Always a good idea!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Midazolam is L2 - it's Adult half life is 2-5 hours.

Propofol is L2 - it's Adult half life is 1-3 days. (Interesting to note that Hales book says this is a popular drug for pediatric procedures)

I couldn't find anything about ketmine or Ketamine (which came up after I googed it)

Oxycodone is L3 - it's Adult half life is 3-6 hours.

Let me know if you want the pages from the book to share with your Dr. I can send those to you. L2's are "Safer" and L3 is "Moderately Safe"
    There might be alternatives to one or any of these drugs if you are uncomfortable with them, so definitely talk to your dr/anesthesia about your options!!
    The book I'm referencing is Medications and Mother's Milk 13th Edition 2008 by Thomas W. Hale, PhD.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLJessica View Post

I couldn't find anything about ketmine or Ketamine (which came up after I googed it)
    oops... i meant ketamine.

so according to that info you found.. would you suggest not BFing for a couple days or what?

and and

so according to that info you found.. would you suggest not BFing for a couple days or what?

I don't think that a recommendation can be made. But if it were ME...I'd nurse. I recently had to have an unplanned CT scan and was advised not to nurse...but once I consulted my LLL Leader and Dr. Hale's book...I decided to nurse (the drug I took was an L3)

This is just if it were ME....I'd pump 1 or 2 bottles before hand. Then, based on the half-life of the drugs being used...I'd give the bottles directly after the procedure and P&D for the first 2 feedings.

There are alternatives to oxycodone. Jessica...what is hydrocodone listed in Hales' book as?? I took that after delivery and nursed just fine with it.

But like I said...that's just me! Good luck.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

just an FYI but i was a vet tech for several years and Ketamine is commonly used as an animal tranquilizer. i don't know if that would help with the search. i wonder if Susan, 'aprilsmagic', might now the human half life? i think she is a Vet.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07