Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oral Surgery... no BF for 3-4 days :/

Default Oral Surgery... no BF for 3-4 days :/

So I have to get my wisdom teeth out in less than 2 months, and I told them that I was breastfeeding and they said that I would need to pump enough for 3-4 days because of the anesthesia. And then pump and dump while I'm giving him the already pumped milk. It kills me to think of throwing away breast milk... its like gold to me (and I'm sure to many of you too!). But I know I cant give him milk that could hurt him. Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at, is, has anyone had to do this before? And will it really take 3-4 days for the anesthesia to get out of the milk? Also, when I pump, I only get like MAYBE 2 oz. out of each side (I dont get that much when i pump). I have a Medela Lactina Electric Plus that I am borrowing from WIC. But its going to KILL me to use all my freezer supply, especially since classes will have started by then, so I will be using my freezer stash for classes AND when I get my wisdom teeth out. I guess I'm just freaking out a little, and wondering if I can do it without having to supplement with nasty formula.

Any advice or suggestions anyone???
    I'm Jamie, and im Proud to be:
    Carter's SAHM since 11-27-07 and now to Eli too, since 7-25-11
    Cody's Wife since 8-28-08

and and

my healthy boys don't get vaccines

Default Re: Oral Surgery... no BF for 3-4 days :/

Can you find out ahead of time what kind of anesthesia they'll be using? It's possible it is safe to nurse afterward, but they are being overly cautious about it by telling you not to. I don't have any experience with this, but I've seen other moms recommend Dr. Jack Newman's website to ask about the safety of other medications while bfing (http://www.drjacknewman.com/).

I was given general anasthesia when my wisdom teeth were removed and they used Valium on me, but I don't know if that is what they always use.
    Last edited by @llli*norasmommy; August 15th, 2008 at 01:01 PM.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

That sounds weird.

I had to be put under for the birth of our son and they were in my room as soon as I woke up helping me get on the pump (baby was in NICU) I pumped from that moment on.

I found this on anesthesiologyinfo.com

Here are some facts about breastfeeding and anesthesia:

* Medications used in general anesthesia do not remain in the mother's system and do not affect her milk.
    * Nearly all pain medications are safe for the nursing mother. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and Ibuprofen are safe. Narcotic analgesics should be used with greater caution - but in general only trace amounts appear in breast milk. Morphine has been shown to have the least effect of all the narcotics on infants. Codeine should be used with caution, but is easily substituted with another medication. Demerol may cause some drowsiness in the infant, but again is generally considered safe.
    * Pain suppresses lactation. The proper relief of pain will help lactation to continue.
    * Always consult your physician about specifics - there are exceptions to every rule and there may be other considerations. Every decision is about weighing both the risks and the benefits.

Hope that helps!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I'm not sure what the answer is to your question, but I do know that general anesthesia is not necessarily necessary for wisdom tooth removal. I had my wisdom teeth out under local anesthetic (Novocaine). The oral surgeon wanted to give me some laughing gas but I turned it down. I found the experience to be perfectly tolerable- it was boring (I had to listen to the dentist chit-chatting with his nurse), and there was a fair amount of pressure placed on my jaw, but there was no pain.

I've had general anesthesia for a different procedure, and I have to say that, given the choice, I would go with the local every time! The general anesthetic was horrible- I had trouble waking up afterwards, was crying uncontrollably meanwhile. The anesthetic also made me horribly queasy, so much so that I threw up, which was very unpleasant. I needed a wheelchair to leave the hospital- and all I'd had was a simple outpatient procedure. With the local, I walked out of the oral surgeon's office under my own steam, and felt mostly fine.

Ask your oral surgeon about the local! I know they present general anesthesia like there's no alternative, but there usually is!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I'm not sure what the answer is to your question, but I do know that general anesthesia is not necessarily necessary for wisdom tooth removal. I had my wisdom teeth out under local anesthetic (Novocaine). The oral surgeon wanted to give me some laughing gas but I turned it down. I found the experience to be perfectly tolerable- it was boring (I had to listen to the dentist chit-chatting with his nurse), and there was a fair amount of pressure placed on my jaw, but there was no pain.

I've had general anesthesia for a different procedure, and I have to say that, given the choice, I would go with the local every time! The general anesthetic was horrible- I had trouble waking up afterwards, was crying uncontrollably meanwhile. The anesthetic also made me horribly queasy, so much so that I threw up, which was very unpleasant. I needed a wheelchair to leave the hospital- and all I'd had was a simple outpatient procedure. With the local, I walked out of the oral surgeon's office under my own steam, and felt mostly fine.

Ask your oral surgeon about the local! I know they present general anesthesia like there's no alternative, but there usually is!
    Margo
    12 mos (ap)
    married to my sweet hunny 10/01/04
    mama to my love bunny 10/17/07
    Because of her allergies, organic vegan, no soy, grains, corn, apples, pears, yeasts,flax, celery, tomatoes, garlic, onion, spices, citrus, caffeine, chocolate, sugar, honey ...

I would tell you to talk to the anesthesiologist, they are often much more knowledgeable about how their medications effect the body. Just to share a personal experience of mine, I had to have a procedure done when my LO was 4 days old. The Dr in the ER said that I must pump and dump for at least 24-48 hours. I asked to talk to the anesthesiologist and he said that no the medication left the body as soon as he was done and that I could nurse just as soon as I was ready.
    Here are two great pages on this!
    http://kellymom.com/health/illness/dentalwork.html
    http://kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I EP and pumping 2oz. per side is great!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Are you having all 4 wisdom teeth out at once? This is often the reason why someone would have GA (I work in dentistry). Just wondering if you could have 2 out at a time under local anaesthesia instead? Upper wisdom teeth often come out fairly easily although lower one's can be a bit more tricky if they're impacted. It might be worth talking to your oral surgeon about this option.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

Well general anesthia effects everyone differently. It made my mother cry also where as when I got my tooth pulled I was up and ready to go after having the anesthia.

I would say talk to your MD because when it comes to dentists they don't what to do the research or take the responsiblilty so they will just tell you not to nurse.

I'm Tauni
    Wife to DH Jack
    Mother of 3
    Rosie 10//01 Nursed 2 months
    Deante 3//07 Nursed 1 months
    Miya 4/17/08 Still nursing

I M-F and on the weekend.

I had gall bladder surgery when my LO was 3 months old. The doctors told me a wide range of time that I could not bf. I had pumped and milk, come to find out I have excess lipase in my milk and it was yucky for DD to drink. I talked to my anestesiologist and he said that I just had to pump and dump the first pumping after surgery, other than that it was ok. Like PP said, talk to your anestesiologist, the doctors/nurses will tell you 0-4 days like mine did. Good luck
    I am in love with my family.
    I'm Christi wife to Nick of 6 years &
    mommy to my precious little girls Katelin and Madilynn