Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD and shallow latch

Default OALD and shallow latch

Okay LLL ladies, I need some help here. DD is 17 weeks old and it seems that her latch is getting worse. She was awesome as a newborn, and then the OALD started. She started backing off the nipple to deal with the flow. My nipples were coming out after feeding shaped kind of like bullets (or lipsticks, if you will). Anyhow, I figured no harm dome since it wasn't hurting me.

Well, now it's starting to hurt. No really at all on my left, but the right nip is feeling pretty sore. No scabbing or anything. No obvious trauma or anything. Yet.

We went through some challenging times in the early weeks with her refusing to eat due to the OALD, so I was inclined to let her feed however it worked for her, as long as she was eating.

Part of this issue is being compounded by my dislike of pacifiers (which means she comforts sucks a lot), and the fact that she's a wee thing. Long, but only about 12.5lbs, so I don't want to do anything that might interfere with her time at the breast.

Phew. So long and rambly.

Any suggestions for sneaking more boob into her mouth without making it a big, hairy deal?

TIA
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Default Re: OALD and shallow latch

We went through this, too. Babies love to copy you! Make your mouth wide and round and say "Ahhhhhh." She'll probably copy your mouth movement and open her mouth wide, too.

I've tried this, and it doesn't seem to work with her

Any other ideas? Or should I be heading to the Newman Clinic? Is it to late to fix her latch?
    Jess

Continue to take her off and put her on correctly! We had to go through this with Samantha, although you make me wanna cry my almost 5 week old is 12 lbs 1 oz to your 17 week old, but back to the topic. It'll be frustrating the first few times, but she has to learn to latch properly.
    I'm Kelly
    Wifey to John
    Mommy to 4 Angels in Heaven
    Momma to Samantha Lynn, born Sept 7th, 9 lbs 14.5 oz 21 in
    Attached Parenting Momma
    ~Breastfeeding~
    ~Baby Wearing~
    ~Co-Sleeping~
    ~No Crying It Out~
    ~Cloth Diapering~
    ~No Epidural~

Birth: 9 lbs 14.5 oz, 4 days: 9 lbs 2 oz, 1 week: 9 lbs 6.6 oz, 2 weeks: 10 lbs 2 oz, 1 month: 12 lbs 1 oz

I am having the same latch trouble with my 2 weeks old - same side...I have tried different positions and he still seems to fall back and use my nipple as a straw...major discomfort no signs of trauma either but I think it could be coming....I feel your pain momma
    so the advice is to just keep readjusting and relatching?
    Sha Nay Nay
    MOOOO
    = working mom

I guess, so far. Unless other Mamas have more advice? She's very squirmy now, so re-adjusting her latch can turn into a cryfest if I take her off and try to put her back on a different way.

Maybe it would help if I used a different hold?

BTW Mama, don't worry about my lo's weight, she's following her own curve and ped. is happy. She's light and long.
    Last edited by @llli*jessruff; October 10th, 2008 at 06:20 PM.
    Jess

Try football hold maybe? You can shove your boob in the mouth that way. LOL. It worked or us.