Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with teeth

Unhappy Help with teeth

Hi, I hope this is the right place to post this. DD is not really an infant anymore, but I couldn't see where else this should go. Anyway, she is almost 14 months with 2 top teeth and 2 bottom teeth.

For the past couple of weeks, her top teeth have been digging into my nipples while she nurses and it is killing me. They are so sore and I don't know what to do to fix it. I'm sure it is a latch issue, but how do I correct it? She's not biting me. I'm to the point where I am considering weaning because of the pain, but emotionally I'm not ready to. I want her to wean when she is ready. She stopped nursing for a couple of days a few weeks ago due to an EI and I thought she had weaned and I cried myself to sleep one night because I was not ready.

I work full time so pump once during the day (and that kills too because of the soreness). She nurses at bedtime and throughout the night. Do any of you have any suggestions for me? TIA!

~Angie

Default Re: Help with teeth

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blueangel76 View Post
    For the past couple of weeks, her top teeth have been digging into my nipples while she nurses and it is killing me. They are so sore and I don't know what to do to fix it. I'm sure it is a latch issue, but how do I correct it? She's not biting me.

I am in the same boat. DD has 2 top teeth and 3 bottom teeth. The top ones just came in and I feel your pain. I will be watching.
    Wife to Levi 10/05/02
    Mommy to Kady 02/13/08

Birth: 7 lbs 11 oz 21 inches
    2 week: 8.5 lbs 21.5 inches
    2 month: 11.8 lbs 23 inches
    4 month: 15 lbs 25 inches
    6 month: 17.7lbs 26.5 inches
    9 month: 20.1lbs 27.5 inches
    12 month: 23 lbs 29.5 inches

I've noticed that when this happens with DS he has a shallow latch and that causes the horrid rubbing from the teeth. I'll break his latch with my finger and let him try again. Sometimes I'll have to do this 2 or 3 times before he gets a decent latch that does not hurt. Sometimes he'll get it on his own, sometimes I'll have to make sure he is far enough on the nipple before he latches on.
    Sorry you are having so much trouble. Hope it gets better very soon!!
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Can you make her bring her head in closer? That may cause her to open wider and not clamp down so hard. I'm really sorry DD was late on getting teeth and doesn't yet have her top teeth, but I'm dealing with biting right now, so don't worry you aren't alone with this.

BTW:

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I'm with you too!!! 2 bottom, 2 top just came in and i was thinking it was a shallow latch too, but when i try and unlatch her, she bites she also bites when she is asleep or doesn't want to nurse, so i'll be watching for some suggestions too...

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in