Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and nipple pain

Default Pumping and nipple pain

I have been pumping at least 1x a day since 10 days pp. Since i've been back to work (3 weeks), I've been pumping 2x/day. After the first week- I realized my pump was a little too strong as I had some bursted blood vessels and inflammation. A lower setting seemed to help but now, one side is cracked and red and I cry when my daughter latches on. pumping is not painful- but definitely seems to make it worse since there is blood in my breast pad afterwards. . .
    Do I have to stop pumping?
    I'm waiting for my break to call the LC- but any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Married my sweetheart 5/13/06
    and babygail makes three 5/29/08
    7 lb 2 oz born at 36 1/7 weeks,
    2 mos: 11 lb 12 oz
    returned to work 7/29/08

Default Re: Pumping and nipple pain

How's it going?

Hoping better! Perhaps you could use a larger flange? Or like you said just too high on the suction?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Default Re: Pumping and nipple pain

what type of pump do you have? Could it be that the flange isn't positioned properly? I nearly tore the nipple off of myself - with a manual of all things - when I positioned the flange slightly too low If you're using a high quality electric pump the powerful suction coupled with a position that is not quite right, could create some soreness.

How is baby's latch at home? Try to make sure that she is latching really deep, as a shallow latch will only prolong the problem.

~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet