Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not producing milk

Talking Not producing milk

Hi, I have an 11 week old baby and for the past month I've been having the worst luck with producing any milk. I've tried drinking "mothers milk" tea and it has not helped. It's to the point that I am giving my daughter formula because anytime I try to breast feed her, she gets so frustrated that I'm unable to produce any milk that she starts to cry uncontrollably. This is causing alot of stress in myself and tension between my partner and I. Does anyone have any suggestions ? I'd hate to dry out so soon, especially if my daughter hasn't even reached 3 months yet. Please help!!! Desperate Mommy, Wendy

Default Re: Not producing milk

Hi Wendy,
    I can tell you are concerned about your dd. We would need to know exactly why you think you are not producing enough milk. In other words, what are the signs?

Here is a link:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Keep in mind that there are many reasons that babies cry and the only way to tell she is getting enough is by her diaper output and weight gain. Many mothers have found wearing baby in a sling or soft carrier helps with crying between feedings.

Have you considered calling a local Leader? She could give you much info and support (sounds like what you need right now!

Here is how to find a Leader:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

Thanks for the reply. Well, the signs are that when I have tried to pump, I barely get any milk into the bottle. Also, I'm not dripping and I don't require to wear a breast pad because I don't leak anymore. When I have tried to breastfeed though, I do squeeze my breast just to check on whether I'm producing milk and I do get a drop, but it's less than what my baby is use to. I think that giving her formula has made her use to the faster flow of her feedings and maybe that's why she gets frustrated Now, she is gaining weight and I change her diapers at least 12 times a day. Most of those changes are from urinating and maybe once a day she'll poop. I'm not sure what I need to do to get more production and no, I haven't called anyone for help....I wasn't sure I was able to get help. I thought that once a mother stops producing milk, there's no chance in any help producing milk. I'm also Diabetic Type 1 and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I just think I screwed up by giving my daughter more formula and not enough breast milk and I caused this whole mess. I really feel guilty because I hear that you should at least breast feed your baby until they are 6 months old to help them with all the immunities. I do have a lactation counselor that I dealt with at the hospital that I can call, would she be able to help me? Is it possible to start producing milk again? Or would I have to start taking some medication? I'm really desperate and need answers. Thanks!

Is your daughter nursing at all now? If she is, then it's possible to cut back on the suppliments. First thing would be to take away the bottle and use an alterate feeding method (cup, eyedropper, finger feeder, etc.).

I am sorry you are feeling so desperate .

We are here to help!

Yes, it would help if you could work with someone in person. The LC at the hospital could help, especially if she is an IBCLC. Also, a local Leader would be happy to take your phone call!

It would help to know how much dd is nursing now, and how many bottles she is getting. I am sorry you were led to believe that not being able to pump milk, not leaking, not needing breast pads were all signs of milk decrease. These are not good indicators of loss of supply. In fact, many moms don't "let down" for a pump and aren't able to pump much milk but feed their babies just fine from the breast. Also, as your baby gets older and milk production settles down a bit is common for some moms to stop leaking and many don't need pads anymore.

You are right to consider that the bottles may have "spoiled" her a bit. She may have gotten used to the faster flow. How much is she getting now from the bottle? Any feeds at all from the breast? The more you can put her to the breast, the better. All of the time, in fact, would be helpful!

To answer your questions, it is possible to bring back a full supply...I couldn't say how long this would take until I knew how much dd was still nursing at this point. Hang in there and don't be so hard on your self. You did the best you could with the information you had and now you are seeking new info. I commend you for that! I would also suggest seeking out a local Leader in order to find out about meetings. It would be very helpful for you right now to have a support group of ladies who can cheer you on through this. LLL can provide that support!