Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: general pumping questions

Default general pumping questions

I am going to start pumping to build a supply for when I return to work. I would also like to have some stored milk for DH to get to feed and if I need to be away for a date night or something. After reading many LLLI posts, I gather that the way to start is to either double pump after the baby feeds, or pump one breast while baby feeds on the other. My questions is, lets say I have DH give the baby a bottle of BM, do I need to then pump to make up for that missed feeding? What if we have a "date-night" and I miss a feeding, do I have to pump at the same time I would normally feed? I am confused, b/c I would love for DH to get some bonding time by feeding, but does it really give me any sort of a break if I have to pump anyway? how do i handle the date night scenario or other times where i can't pump at the exact time i would normally feed? any help or advice is greatly appreciated. baby is 4 weeks old and is exclusivley breastfed.

Default Re: general pumping questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stuartjr View Post
    My questions is, lets say I have DH give the baby a bottle of BM, do I need to then pump to make up for that missed feeding?.
    ideally yes, as soon as possible
    What if we have a "date-night" and I miss a feeding, do I have to pump at the same time I would normally feed?
    if you are out, pump as soon as possible or if you have to nurse first, fit in an extra pump session when possible, for instance once the baby is asleep

it's suggested that you not introduce a bottle until 6-8 weeks when nursing is well established, to avoid nipple confusion. also baby will coninue to suck on a bottle for comfort even after they are full.

you will most likely be uncomfortably full after just a few hours away with a baby so young. so start with short trips away from your baby. HTHAL

after a little while the two of you will find a groove and baby will go longer between feedings etc.... if DH gives baby a bottle every night while you shower then after the baby goes to bed pump ( i do this daily )
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

w/ pp...took the words out of my mouth!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Agree with PP. In the early weeks/months I found I couldn't be away from LO more than a few hours w/out feeling full. I chose not to have DH do bottle feeds (just our personal choice cause I didn't want to have to pump if I could just put her to breast and DH didn't really mind). If DH and I were going out I'd nurse LO right before we left and immediately upon return and oftentimes we only gone a short time so I didn't need to pump or leave a bottle (quick dinners or short movies).
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09