Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: small baby and dealing with criticism

Smile Re: small baby and dealing with criticism

My LO is small too, so you can't go strickly off how much they weigh but by their percentage. My LO was born at the 10% range and has stayed pretty consistant at the 6% range now. As long as the percentage stays pretty stable, I wouldn't worry at all. Some babies are just petite. I have tried feeding my LO around the clock and found she just wouldn't eat much on some days and still doesn't. You can't force it and the more you stress about it the less you produce. I finally just relaxed and didn't worry about it and everything has turned out fine. I have made it 9 1/2 months and have a huge freezer stash. Keep up the good work.
    Married my soulmate Jay 4/22/06
    First time Mom to Alexis 10/29/07 6lbs 15oz 19 3/4 in
    6 month checkup 12lb 10oz 26 1/2 in
    7 month weight check 14lb 6oz - Yea!!
    9 Month checkup - 16lbs

and

Love to

Goal
    6 months
    9 months
    12 months

Default Re: small baby and dealing with criticism

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bookgirl View Post
    My problem is my DH and MIL. First of all my Latina MIL wants to start giving solids (which was hesitantly okayed by the dr). I'm against that for at least a month. Also, b/c you cannot tell how much milk a baby gets at the breast, they want me to exclusively pump and give bottles. I've been back at work and have already dipped into my freezer stash! I've told both of them that I can't get enough by pumping (I can get 2 oz each side first thing in the morning, but after that it's about 1 or 1.5 oz). When I said that I got looks that meant that I obviously don't have enough milk. I will pump more, for example pump one side while my DD eats on the other (something I need to do anyway as my freezer stash is half gone, DH put half of it in the fridge today while I was at work!).

Granted, I'm tired from going back to work and not getting enough sleep, but right now I just want to cry! I was getting pretty good support with breast feeding from my DH at least, but now he's not listening to me and is obsessed with counting each ounce our DD eats. Any advice?
    I'm hispanic and my mom watches my DD while i'm at work and she too told me that you have to introduce solids at 4 months. My DD is 11 weeks old so I haven't gotten to that point but I haven't questioned her on that. I'm a first time mom and my mom had 8!! healthy babies all BF (I'm one of those!) I'm curious, why solids in 6 months instead of 4? I for one would like to wait but before I contradict my mother's advice I want to be fully informed.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number1mommy View Post
    I'm hispanic and my mom watches my DD while i'm at work and she too told me that you have to introduce solids at 4 months. My DD is 11 weeks old so I haven't gotten to that point but I haven't questioned her on that. I'm a first time mom and my mom had 8!! healthy babies all BF (I'm one of those!) I'm curious, why solids in 6 months instead of 4? I for one would like to wait but before I contradict my mother's advice I want to be fully informed.
    4 months used to be the recommended age, but these days the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommends exclusive breastfeeding (ie no solids) until 6 months. You can tell your mom that your pediatrician said to wait (even if s/he didn't) if you think that might hold her off.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    4 months used to be the recommended age, but these days the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommends exclusive breastfeeding (ie no solids) until 6 months. You can tell your mom that your pediatrician said to wait (even if s/he didn't) if you think that might hold her off.
    Good idea! My mom's old school. She thinks I'm a nut because I'm hooked on this forum and I do a lot of internet research on infant nutrition and bfing! She'll be more satisfied if I tell her my pedi said to wait until 6 months.

Thanks for the advice!
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

Trust in your body that it will make enough milk for your LO.

This is sooooo important! When i went back to work i had nightmares about not producing enough mild while i was gone from my DD. But you have to believe that this is what your body was designed to do and we as women do it very well! Trust yourself! Such good advice from all the other ladies, one thing i have to add is on the co-sleeping thing. This has made SUCH a difference in my daughther's and I's BF relationship. She goes long lengths of time without a bottle when i am at work but as soon as i am home, we snuggle up in bed and she happily eats/sleeps still waking up every 2 hours or so to eat! Good for supply and good for emotions! Good Luck you are doing a wonderful job!
    Proud mommy to:
    Charlotte Ruth born 5/6/2008

"Do what you think is best; wait until you have weaned him. Only, may the Lord bring your resolve to fulfillment!" And so she remained at home and nursed her son until she had weaned him. 1 Samuel 1:23

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted my request. Now I, in turn, give him to the Lord; as long as he lives, he shall be dedicated to the Lord." 1 Samuel 1:27-28

15 months and counting!

Exclamation Re: small baby and dealing with criticism

I have to deal with this too. Personally and and socially. Lots of pressure. The problem is that the medical community change their opinions of breastfeeding, and old styles stopped nursing at 4 month old. Doctors office give papers on feeding the child at 6 months. And, formula companies give samples or whatsoever to hospitals and new moms. Doctors have their weight scale...but it doesn't show if the baby is breastfed exclusively or not, or is formula baby. The medical community doesn't have knowledge about breastfeeding...hence they stress mothers about how many oz...when it should be how often one nurses...is the baby swalling? wet diapers...activitiy level...Anyway,