Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm sick, questions about bf'ing

Default I'm sick, questions about bf'ing

I've been hit with a nasty illness. Started Tues. and I haven't been able to eat anything. I haven't eaten since Tues. at lunch. Keeping fluids down is a challenge. I was in the ER most of yesterday and they gave me demerol (for my killer migraine) and fluids for dehydration. But I still can't eat. I vomit everything up. My dd is 2.5 months old. I've managed to feed her throughout this but I can't imagine she's getting what she's used to. Or how it tastes, for that matter with the pain meds. She has normal wet diapers so I guess I shouldn't be concerned. But if I'm not taking any food in, how am I making milk?

Thanks.

Default Re: I'm sick, questions about bf'ing

I found this on Dr. Newman's site...

2. A breastfeeding mother has to eat more in order to make enough milk.
    Not true ! Women on even very low calorie diets usually make enough milk, at least until the mother's calorie intake becomes critically low for a prolonged period of time. Generally, the baby will get what he needs. Some women worry that if they eat poorly for a few days this also will affect their milk. There is no need for concern. Such variations will not affect milk supply or quality.

Hope that helps...and hope you feel better soon!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

That's awesome, thanks. I tried googling it but I wasn't coming up with anything. Must not have used the right words. Thanks!

You are giving your LO the best protection by nursing through your illness. WTG!!

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I hope you're feeling better by now. That sounds awful.