Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: organic rice cereal

Default organic rice cereal

My ds is 5 mo and exclusively bf. We're thinking of introducing solids this month and the dr said to start with cereal, then veg, then fruit. He has milk/soy/nut allergies so we're being careful. If we start with rice cereal, is there any benefit to the organic rice cereal vs. regular? The organic seems to be made from brown rice, while the regular is made from white. I've been living on rice milk, rice cakes and yes, just plain brown rice for 3 months now while his allergies sorted themselves out. Is organic brown rice cereal the way to go or should we be trying something else?

Default Re: organic rice cereal

I would strongly recommend waiting to introduce any solids to a baby with allergies. The AAP recommends not starting solids until at least 6 months. For allergy prone babies I think this is vital. From mothersnature.com: "The younger the baby, the more likely it is that any foods other than human milk will cause food allergies. While solely breastfed, the baby is protected by components in mother's milk that prevent foreign proteins from entering the baby's system and causing an allergic reaction. Between 6 months and 12 months of age, the baby begins producing enough antibodies to prevent such allergic reactions. This benefit is especially important for a baby whose family has a history of allergies. Some doctors may recommend delaying solids for the first year if there is a family history of allergies."

See:

Why Delay Solids? (Especially read the section on preventing allergies and baby's "open gut")
    Solid food: Wait a Bit
    When should my baby start solids?
    Is my baby ready for solid foods?
    How do we get started with solids?
    What if my 4-5 month old seems ready for solids?
    Solid food: Best Delayed

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months): World Health Organization, UNICEF, US Department of Health & Human Services, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians, American Dietetic Association, Australian National Health and Medical Research Council, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, Health Canada

When your baby is ready to start the rice cereal possibly seek out a natural foods store and find a more organic whole food version that isn't processed. Buying whole foods has been the easiest way for me to make sure I'm not eating anything my DD is allergic to.

My DD is 7.5 months old and still exclusively breastfed (she also has a milk protein and tree nut allergy). We are following her lead on when to start solids. Breast milk provides complete nutrition for the entire first 12 months, so there's no rush. Most of a baby's solid food the first year is just for play and experimentation. Waiting until she is a bit older (she has just begun to sample avocado) helps protect her from allergies.

This source here has some great info on starting solids in a breastfed baby with allergies:

Allergies: Waiting to offer solid foods

Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I agree with pp!
    doctors have outdated info on starting solids.
    heres what lll says
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

We waited untill our kids could self feed around 9-12 months that then that was just a few bites of what ever we were haveing for supper.
    If you wait untill they are older you can start with high iron meats.
    and they are so proud to be able to feed themself. And you don't have to get all thoose jars of mashed up food that is mosty flour and not food.
    breastmilk is beter for their bodies then the cereal, it can cause constipation!

I have an 18 month baby and I am still feeding her step two formula with baby cereal for breakfast is this ok?

I agree especially if your LO has allergies. Also, though, just for your own sanity. I started giving my DD rice cereal around 5 months, she just gagged and spit it out. So I tried a week later, same thing, a few days later, same thing. I then thought maybe she didn't like rice cereal, so tried banana, same thing. Okay, you get the point. The day before she turned six months she finally swallowed and opened her mouth for more food So, with my next baby I'm just going to wait the six months!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09