Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mum's diet when BF

Default Mum's diet when BF

Hi all,

I wasn't sure which section to ask this Q in but I wondered if anyone knows more or could point me to some info about how the Mum's diet could affect LO?
    I'm thinking particularly of things like tea and chocolate (the two things I find hard to live without !! ). I do generally eat healthily but I'm curious as to how diet affects BM.

Default Re: Mum's diet when BF

Just keep in mind that whatever you consume passes to baby through your BM. I, for one, have stayed away from all caffeine (sodas, tea, coffee-which I though I couldn't live without, BTW!), chocolate, gassy foods such as beans, brocoli, cauliflower, etc. I stay away from alcoholic beverages and too much fried and spicy foods. I also continue to take my prenatal vitamins and drink a lot of water.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number1mommy View Post
    Just keep in mind that whatever you consume passes to baby through your BM. I, for one, have stayed away from all caffeine (sodas, tea, coffee-which I though I couldn't live without, BTW!), chocolate, gassy foods such as beans, brocoli, cauliflower, etc. I stay away from alcoholic beverages and too much fried and spicy foods. I also continue to take my prenatal vitamins and drink a lot of water.
    I respectfully disagree with this advice. Current recommendations are that a cup or 2 of coffee or other caffeinated beverages per day do not harm a breastfeeding child. Some moms drink more and it has no effect whatsoever on their babies. Most moms find the recommendations are about right for them and their babies. A very few (like me) find that their babies react strongly to caffeine in any quantity when moms drinks it...but that isn't the norm.

There is no need to stay away from beans, broccoli, cauliflower, traditionally gassy foods, or spicy or fried foods whatsoever unless your individual baby seems to have some tummy issues after you eat one of them. It's ok to eat spicy food. The only reason to avoid fried foods, would be nutritional, not because they'll harm the baby through your breastmilk.

You do NOT have to eat a bland diet. Eat what you normally eat (a well balanced healthy meal of course and not just sweets ), and don't worry about it.

Studies have actually found, that breastfed babies whose mothers eat a wide variety of foods including spicy foods actually end up having a more diverse palate later on, and will eat a wider variety of foods because they were exposed to the tastes through breastmilk. The taste of your breastmilk will vary slightly depending on what you're eating, and it seems that being exposed to diverse foods helps babies get ready for the real thing later on.

Just use common sense. Eat healthy, avoid too much salt and fat and sugar, and eat as normal. Don't bother eliminating foods from your diet unless it actually bothers the baby, which can sometimes happen. Sometimes a baby can have a bit of an upset tummy when mommy eats a specific food...not necessarily even an allergy, but it helps to avoid the food and retry it later on when baby is older.

I didn't suggest for her to stay way from those foods. I gave my opnion on the items I stay away from that have worked for me and LO.

Fried foods are not very nutritional, so if they are not good for moms they are not good nutritionally for infants either. This is my diet. I choose to try to give the best nutrition to my infant. Beans, brocoli, cauliflower give me gas and I noticed that when I consumed this it gave my LO gas as well so I stay away from it.

I've read so many negative effects of caffeine on infants that I made a personal choice to not consume it. Studies on this issue have varied but I made a personal sacrifice because I don't want to take a chance on the health of my LO. BTW, I am following recommendations from my doctor and my DD's pediatrician.

If you eat something that you think is not nutritonal for you then it's probably not nutritional for your baby to consume either.

I am not a Dr. and don't know if PP is one either but I would say to do what you think is best for your LO. Mommy's gut instinct is always the best!
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

heres some more info form the LLL web site
    caffine:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/caffeine.html

what foods should I aviod:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/avoid.html

One of the LLLI philosophy concepts states, "Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number1mommy View Post
    If you eat something that you think is not nutritonal for you then it's probably not nutritional for your baby to consume either.
    Absolutely true, however, from everything I've read, the body produces breastmilk to be nutritionally perfect for the baby regardless of the mom's diet unless mom is not eating/malnourished or in extreme situations. The body will actually rob nutrients from the mom's stores if mom isn't taking in enough nutrients and such from food in an effort to make the perfect breastmilk.

So in the case of fried foods and such, they're not a good nutritional choice for mom, but that doesn't mean that mom's breastmilk will be extra fatty (bad fats vs. good fats), insufficient nutritionally, or that moms milk will turn into junk food so to speak.

More than likely, what would happen, is that the mom would end up worse off herself, because her body would rob her nutritional stores to make the perfect breastmilk for her baby.

So basically, while many things can pass through breastmilk in varying amounts...some almost none, some more so, like certain medications and such, that doesn't mean that if mom isn't eating a completely nutritious meal all the time that the breastmilk will be less nutritional for baby.

Thanks for your replies ladies.
    I find it difficult to tell whether LO is affected by what I'm eating. She has her fussy moments (not often) no matter what I eat so I'm not sure if they're related. When you eat such a variety of foods, where do you start when eliminating things to see if it makes a difference?
    I do personnally feel that for mum's own sanity a little treat like a bit of choc and the occasional glass of wine can't do much harm - ??

For me, the only foods I cut back on when lo was tiny were garlic & apple cider- both gave dd majorly painfu gas/tummy episodes. Once she got a bit older, garlic was ok again. I've had no prob with chocolate or caffeine in moderation, but everyone's different. If you think it's a problem, you can always cut back & see if it's any better. I don't drink alcohol (but I didn't before dd either), but I think most recommend it's best to have a glass of wine right after a feeding to give it themax time to get out of your bloodstream/breastmilk before the next feeding.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

best to have a glass of wine right after a feeding to give it themax time to get out of your bloodstream/breastmilk before the next feeding.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Yes I'd heard that too.

I've never been so hungry in all my life since !!!