Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't take a bottle

Default Won't take a bottle

My son is 10 weeks and won't take a bottle. Ironic since he was bottle fed EM for the first 4 weeks. The past 6 weeks I have only had someone else give him a bottle 4 times....a bit of a struggle, but he eventually took it. Now he refuses. I have to go back to work in 13 days. I know I should have started this earlier!
    Can't believe I am having this problem. It was the reverse 6 weeks ago! I was afraid to do only the breast b/c he seems starving and wasn't BF well, now I have the opposite problem. And to make it worse he is still not a great BFer due to tongue-tie issues so I was looking forward to being able to give him at least a couple of bottles.
    Should I try the sippy cup method or is he too young? I am thinking of leaving the house for all day on Saturday and letting my husband and MIL try to get him to take the bottle. I heard that babies won't let themselves starve and will eventually take the bottle? Should I try this?

Default Re: Won't take a bottle

I had the same issue right before I went back to work. Tried every bottle I could find. Nothing was working, which I couldn't understand because he would previously take the bottle (from others, but never me). So the day came when I went back to work. My mom (his caretaker) said he resisted at first, but finally took it. So you may be worrying unnecessarily. I don't think he will starve himself, but he may resist. He may also do what is known as reverse cycling (wait for you to come home and nurse often at night). My little guy didn't do that though.

Here are some links that I found helpful. Going back to work was a very stressful time for me, but after a couple of weeks everything got settled into place for both of us .
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html
    http://www.workandpump.com/
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Thanks! I am praying he doesn't reverse b/c he is sleeping through the night wonderfully now!!! I do miss the night feedings.....once per night would be fine with me since I wake up engorged and have to pee anyway

I was scared of reverse cycling too since my son was sleeping through the night. I was glad he didn't go that route. But he did want to nurse a heck of alot more when I returned from work until he went to bed. I didn't mind because I really missed him in the day and I enjoyed that time together .
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

First day away from baby yesterday and he took the bottle from my MIL. Still won't take it from hubby though. Hopefully that changes so I can leave him with hubby and do things on nights/weekends! I need to get my butt back to the gym!

I agree with you about not minding nursing more in the evening. I got home last night and locked myself in my room with my little one so I could nurse and hog him to myself