Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it time???

Default Is it time???

So I've been bf my lo for 4 1/2 mos now and had problems in the beginning. Both of my nipples were inverted, but now it's just my left. I used to use the nipple shield and guard in the beginning (1 1/2 months) because he was having a hard time latching on. My nipples were very sore and had a lot of cuts on the side where my nipples were being stretched out. It was very painful and bf was so difficult, but I was very determined to bf my lo. So it's 3 months later and my left inverted nipple is still getting cuts and healing time takes about 1 1/2 weeks and I just dread feeding him on that side. It's getting to the point where he cuts my left nipple every month and I have to go through the same process again. I constantly use the guard so it can heal. So I guess my question is...is it time to stop? I really don't want to, but feeding is so painful and I don't know how much more pain I can go through. I will be going back to work next week and am stressed out with DC, pumping, my cut, mommy separation anxiety, etc...I guess I just need some words of encouragement to keep on going.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Default Re: Is it time???

Oh, mama...

It sounds like you have really been through a lot so far. Congratulations on making it this far! Your determination to give your baby the best really shows.

First of all, you CAN do this!! You have made it through so much already.

So does the right side not hurt during feedings anymore? I am far from an expert but my LO nurses only from the right 99 percent of the time... just a thought but maybe a compromise between the pain and weaning is to only nurse from one side. I'm sure other mamas can chime in with some help!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Does it hurt when you pump from that side? Once the cut heals maybe you can just BF him on the good side & pump from the other. If you can't even pump from that side maybe you could just wean from the one side. I've never experienced that, so I'm not sure how well it would work. Hopefully some more experienced moms will chime in.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post
    So does the right side not hurt during feedings anymore? I am far from an expert but my LO nurses only from the right 99 percent of the time... just a thought but maybe a compromise between the pain and weaning is to only nurse from one side. I'm sure other mamas can chime in with some help!
    Thanks for the advice. I usually nurse him on my right side first, since I get more milk from that side, but just my luck, his favorite side is the left. My right side doesn't hurt anymore, since it is fully extroverted. When I have cuts, I usually try not to give him the left, but he often gets fussy and wants his fav boob.

From @llli*smidgin "Once the cut heals maybe you can just BF him on the good side & pump from the other. If you can't even pump from that side maybe you could just wean from the one side."

I have tried pumping the left side and that seems to help a little. But I have never heard of being able to wean from one side. Is that possible? Cause that would make my boobs feels soo much better!

sure you can just nurse from one side.
    your one breast will adjust to the milk that it needs to make.