Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pump weaning and kinda sad

Default Re: Pump weaning and kinda sad

Buff, just take it one day and one week at a time and do it at your own pace. I obviously wasn't ready to cut out all 3 sessions and needed to hang on to one session while I adjusted to the idea of not being a pumping mom during the day. After almost 2 months of pumping once a day it was easier to drop that last session and I was ready.

As for the transition to cow's milk, you may have to try different temperatures in addition to mixing it with formula or BM. But if your lO gets enough other dairy (yogurt, cheese, etc) then you don't even have to offer cow's milk.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    I'm SO glad you posted an update and brought this thread to the top of the list again

while I'm looking forward to pump weaning and not having to deal with all that during the day, I'm also nervous about it. Right now I pump twice a day during work hours, then pump once more after DD goes to bed, and usually end up with a daily total of around 10 ounces. During the week, we still nurse mornings, evenings before bed, and during the night whenever she wakes up, and before naps on the weekends. So on the weekends she's still nursing around 5-6 times a day, total.

It's amazing to me (and comforting) to hear other mamas go through the same feelings of anxiety about pump-weaning as me. My DH must think I'm nuts for being nervous about pump-weaning. I guess he just can't understand why I feel the need to "hang on?" I think it's like pp said... when she has my milk to drink during the day, I feel like it's our "connection" during the day when we're apart... if she's drinking mama's milk during the day, then maybe she might think of me??

just wanted to say I'm so glad you bumped this thread back up. I really needed to hear about other mama's going through the same thing as me!!
    Buff, I could have written all of the above !

I am having surgery on October 17th and will be home with DS for a month maybe more while I recover, While I'm out he'll be turning one (on October 30th)..... so when I go back what do I do, pump for relief only???
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I, too, am having mixed feelings about pump weaning. I EP so this is all I have with DD. IT has been nice cutting back from 6X to 5X and now 4X a day. Weird though....she is one on the 17th so sometime after then I hope to be completely weaned.....
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Sometimes I go whole day without pumping. I have difficult time pumping, don't get much milk. I miss my baby when I'm at work and wonder how he's doing at the daycare. for you.

Well, I've started to cut back on pumping during the day... I usually pump twice during work hours (around 11am & 3pm)... today I only pumped once around 1pm and got about 6 ounces. I think I'm going to stick with once a day at work for a while and see how that goes. Who knew it would be so hard to let go of the pump? I know once I'm free of the pump I'll be happy, but letting go is so hard... At least I can still nurse her mornings, evenings, and naps on the weekends...

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I just stumbled across this posting and feel so relieved to know that there are others out there that have felt the emotional struggle that I have since weaning my lo. I too have felt all the same range of emotions that were described in earlier postings. I exclusively nursed until going back to work when my lo was 3 months old. Since then I pumped and nursed her until 1 year old. Now I am nursing her in am and pm and have weaned to pump sessions at those times (I pump just a few minutes after she feeds to maintain that little supply). Giving up the last one or two pump times is a challenge for me. I dareso moreso for me than my daughter! Part of me feels that it will be a relief to be done with it, but also sad to think there will no longer be milk there for her to have if she wants it. I know this is a necessary transition eventually, so it is good to read that someone said there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Well I finally brought the pump and all my parts home for good. I have been able to go for 12 or more hours w/out nursing/pumping and not get the slightest bit full. I figured I better have my supplies at home in case of some unexpected nursing strike (not that we've ever had one..but you never know). I have been amazed on a few days when DD last nursed at 3am and doesn't nurse again until 7pm and I'm not full. For a girl who used to have OS...the body is simply amazing!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09