Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump weaning and kinda sad

Default Pump weaning and kinda sad

Well, maybe not sad, but it just seems weird/strange some how. If you've followed my other posts you know that DD is 1 and that I just returned to work this week after my summer off. She's only been nursing 1 time during the hrs I'm now at work, so I've only been pumping once these past 3 days and for no more than 10mins. And it just seems strange to me. Strange to have so much time in my work day back (I was pumping 3x's a day for 15min before vacation), strange to only get a few ounces (I used to go home with 14oz, I now go home with 3), strange to go 6 hrs before pumping and not even feel remotely full (I'm thinking I could probably go the whole work day w/o pumping). It's all just strange. DD is still nursing morning and night and I have a great stash in the freezer if I need it (but she's only drinking about 2-3oz while I'm gone if that), so I have no concerns there. But yet somehow there's part of me who can't let go of the old routine I guess. Perhaps the old routine was comfortable as I was a good pumper and could always pump enough for DD for the next day and somehow no one told the little voice in my head that I no longer need to bring home that much milk.

I guess I was expecting pump weaning to be more liberating than it has been.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: Pump weaning and kinda sad

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post

I guess I was expecting pump weaning to be more liberating than it has been.
    Katy is 9 months today () and, while I can't wait to pump-wean in a few months b/c I can't stand it, I'm also pretty un-easy about it. Not sure why...maybe it's b/c in some ways I feel like we won't have a "connection" through the day. KWIM?

Maybe I'll keep pumping for awhile...
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Yes, I can imagine! DS is 10 months and I've always resented the pump and can't wait til I can pump wean, but I know I'll feel like you are now. It's almost like it symbolizes the beginning of the end of your BF relationship and that's sad!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I was in the SAME situation a couple of months ago! I went to one session when dd1 was about 14-15 months and completely quit pumping when she was about 16 months. I didn't feel over full or anything either. I felt guilty and sad when I thought it would be liberating. HOWEVER, here's the light at the end of the tunnel - NOW I feel liberated. It took a week or so, but I feel great - we nurse am and pm and nap on weekend and it's working beautifully for us. HTH.

I'm about to do the same thing - I return to work Friday after having the summer off and my LO will be 1 year at the end of the month... I'm planning to take my pump with me for the first few days and pump once if I need to (she's been nursing less and less during the day, so I'm not sure how full I'll be). I was actually here tonight looking for a thread about this for support because I'm really torn emotionally about this... so, I don't have any support to offer except to say that I'm right there with you and know what you're going through!
    I keep feeling guilty and anxious because I feel like she should need me to pump so that she has the milk the next day, but I know that she doesn't and that's really hard for me, you know?

anyway, I know how you feel...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stacie78 View Post
    I feel like she should need me to pump so that she has the milk the next day, but I know that she doesn't and that's really hard for me, you know?

anyway, I know how you feel...
    Yeah, I think that's it. Like somehow I'm not fulfilling my motherly duty now.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I'm an exclusive pumper and I've been debating decreasing my pumpings as well, part for medical reasons and part because after 15 months I'm a little tired of my day revolving around the pump. It makes doing things on the weekend rough because it never seems to matter what my schedule is she's always just off of it enough to not give us more than an hour or two before we have to do something (feed her, nap her, pump me).

But I feel really bad about considering it and we haven't done it. We've introduced cows milk more regularly -- she gets 4 oz a day, mixed with 4 oz of breast milk. It makes things a little easier on me because during my periods I was barely keeping up (in fact I've had to dig into the freezer a couple of times).

Part of me really really wants to just wean and part of me feels bad for it. For now I'm using the excuse that I cut back to three pumpings just two months ago, so it's too early now for me to cut back again. That and while she does eat solids, it's not consistent and some days she barely eats anything (not to mention she only seems to like fruit, peanut butter toast, pasta and eggs -- notice the lack of veggies and meat?)

I think it'd be easier if she were nursing. I wouldn't feel bad because she'd still have milk if I stopped. But if I stop now she stops getting milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    Yeah, I think that's it. Like somehow I'm not fulfilling my motherly duty now.
    Exactly! I was having trouble putting it into words, but that's definitely part of it. I feel like I'm failing somehow because she doesn't want to nurse as much. I feel like by not pumping I'm doing something wrong.

Default UPDATE Re: Pump weaning and kinda sad

UPDATE:
    Well, 2 whole months later and I'm finally pump weaned. I could have accomplished this back in August, but I kept pumping once a day. I had trouble letting go and I really wanted to be sure that things were going well at DCP for DD...that she was getting enough fluids, eating enough variety of solids, and just content and happy. And she is, so now I'm done with the pump. I still have quite the freezer stash so I'm still sending one sippy of BM a day which she gets before her nap. I'm sure I'll be a bit sad when the stash runs out.

I do still have the pump at work along with a complete set of parts just in case (I work REALLY long days on Thursdays), but so far haven't needed it. I'll probably bring it all home soon.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I'm SO glad you posted an update and brought this thread to the top of the list again... My DD just turned 1 last Monday and while I'm looking forward to pump weaning and not having to deal with all that during the day, I'm also nervous about it. Right now I pump twice a day during work hours, then pump once more after DD goes to bed, and usually end up with a daily total of around 10 ounces. During the week, we still nurse mornings, evenings before bed, and during the night whenever she wakes up, and before naps on the weekends. So on the weekends she's still nursing around 5-6 times a day, total.

It's amazing to me (and comforting) to hear other mamas go through the same feelings of anxiety about pump-weaning as me. My DH must think I'm nuts for being nervous about pump-weaning. I guess he just can't understand why I feel the need to "hang on?" I think it's like pp said... when she has my milk to drink during the day, I feel like it's our "connection" during the day when we're apart... if she's drinking mama's milk during the day, then maybe she might think of me??

Anyway, right now we just started giving her milk in a sippy. She REALLY likes to drink water out of a sippy, and will just chug it, but so far hasn't really gone for drinking any sort of milk in a sippy (not BM, not cow's milk, not formula...) She gags on it... So today DCP are going to try a mixture of formula and cow's milk in a cup, to see how she does. I also brought some small bottles of BM, just in case the milk in a sippy doesn't go well.

Ok, so I probably sound like I'm rambling... just wanted to say I'm so glad you bumped this thread back up. I really needed to hear about other mama's going through the same thing as me!!

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.