Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby fussy on one side

Default Baby fussy on one side

My baby has started to get fussy on one side at night. As soon as she gets to that side she begins to cry. Could I be doing something wrong? The rest of the time she does well.

Default Re: Baby fussy on one side

Hi there!
    Can you give me a little more info? How old is your baby? You say she's eating well, but gets fussy at night when you offer her one side? Has she been ill at all?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

She is 5 weeks old. She has not been sick. She usually does well with the feeding but in the evenings she is a little fussy. She doesn't want to feed from the left side. Sometimes she will nurse for a few seconds and then start to cry. If I switch her to the other side she does fine.

Well, usually if it's an ear infection or something like that, they'll refuse to nurse on that side ALL the time, but you might have her checked just to be sure.

Though your breasts may look the same, they can be quite different. It could be that the flow on the one side is faster than she'd like (or not fast enough) and she gets frustrated when she's already cranky.

Some mothers find offering the breast in a different position than usual can help. For example, if you always nurse in the cradle hold, you might try the football hold or the side-lying position.

If that doesn't work, you can always just make an effort to nurse MORE on that side during the day when she will take it. That way when she nurses more on the other side during the evenings, your production for both sides should stay pretty even.

Hope that helps!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Jen described my DD perfectly .

I have one side that lets down almost instantly (DD prefers this side). When she is tired and cranky, which is usually late afternoon/early evening, she will cry if I try to give her the slow side. I try to give her the slow side more in the morning and afternoon when I know she's more likely to take it without a fuss.

Wow...
    this decribes my son PERFECTLY. nice to know I'm not alone.
    He gets fussy on the left side, and still has trouble latching on that side with out it hurting me! He does great on the right though.