Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Big eater, having trouble keeping up! help!

Question Big eater, having trouble keeping up! help!

My son just turned 4 mo. 17 lbs. 27 in. he refuses to breastfeed so I pump exclusively. Did great for the first three months and had about two gallons stockpiled in the freezer. His appetite has quickly increased (doc says it's normal and he's healthy) he's up to 45-50 oz. per day 8-10 oz. bottles per serving. Now I am having trouble keeping up with him. He's blown through most of my stockpile already, I'm usually always one bottle behind for the day now. Recently had to supplement formula which I was dead set against. Don't want to start any solids till 6 mo. because I have severe asthma and allergies and don't want him to have the same. I can't take Fenugreek for that same reason. Started menstruating again which makes matters worse. I use a older medela double electric pump and pump every 2-3 hours with a break at night. I've tried pumping more often but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions on upping supply? I really want him on only breast milk for as long as possible.

Default Re: Big eater, having trouble keeping up! help!

45-50 oz. a day seems like a whole lot to me.
    Hopefully someone comes around w/ more info. I EP as well. DD has never had over 30 oz. a day.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alyssa.mommy View Post
    45-50 oz. a day seems like a whole lot to me.
    Hopefully someone comes around w/ more info. I EP as well. DD has never had over 30 oz. a day.
    Will he take a pacifier? My son would eat 8 ounces at a time at that age if we let him, but a doctor told us that was too much, so we limited him to 6 ounce bottles and offered him a pacifier after the bottle. He was satisfied with that. 8-10 ounces really is a lot. 6 ounces is on the high side, most babies take 2-4 ounces of BM in a bottle. Does your son spit up a lot? If he does that's probably a sign he's taking too much.

I think also at that age, babies don't know when they are full and will just keep drinking.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    I think also at that age, babies don't know when they are full and will just keep drinking.
    It's actually a problem that when you suck on a bottle, no matter what you get milk (unless of course it's empty!) but a baby will often suck, swallow, and go into that pattern until done. Chugging down a bottle can happen even if a baby is not hungry at all.
    Are you using a slow flow nipple and checking the drip to make sure it's actually slow?

Here's a good link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    On average babies will need to take at most about 30oz around 6 months. That's average of course, but a good 15-20oz less than what you guys are experiencing right now.

I do want to note also that breastmilk is not like formula at all, so comparing them oz for oz will set you up for overfeeding. In order for you to increase calories you have to increase the amount of formula, with breastmilk you make the right amount of calories for your baby as they age.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    Will he take a pacifier? My son would eat 8 ounces at a time at that age if we let him, but a doctor told us that was too much, so we limited him to 6 ounce bottles and offered him a pacifier after the bottle. He was satisfied with that. 8-10 ounces really is a lot. 6 ounces is on the high side, most babies take 2-4 ounces of BM in a bottle. Does your son spit up a lot? If he does that's probably a sign he's taking too much.

He won't take a pacifier at all, he sucks his thumb when he's tired and that's it. Seems like a lot to us too but our Doctor just said he's a big baby and he's going to eat more than smaller babies. She said to feed on demand whenever he wants as much as he wants. He very rarely spits up so I'm not sure if it's too much or not.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLJessica View Post
    It's actually a problem that when you suck on a bottle, no matter what you get milk (unless of course it's empty!) but a baby will often suck, swallow, and go into that pattern until done. Chugging down a bottle can happen even if a baby is not hungry at all.
    Are you using a slow flow nipple and checking the drip to make sure it's actually slow?
    I use the breastflow bottles with the slow nipples, I've checked and they seem pretty slow to me. Nothing usually comes out unless you squeeze it a little bit.