Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding in England and Scotland

Question Breastfeeding in England and Scotland

Going on a trip to England and Scotland. I am wondering if there are differences in the laws there that I should be aware of before I go?

I am from Canada btw.

Default Re: Breastfeeding in England and Scotland

I had meant to ask more specific questions but the baby started to cry as I typed that. Ok so what I want to know is whether the laws are similar to Canada... as in if someone asks me not to breastfeed publicly so I have the right to refuse?
    I am also curious as to whether the general attitude is the same in the UK as here. In Canada breastfeeding is thoroughly promoted. I know very few people who haven't breastfed. And I personally have never had any negative comments (although I know some of my friends have). In general I have always been in a pro-breastfeeding atmosphere.

In Canada there are malls and such that have rooms set up for nursing. Not all places but many will have them. (Usually just a room with some comfy chairs, a microwave, change table etc). Is there anything like that there?

Thanks!!

I lived in England for awhile, and I can't remember ever seeing a woman breastfeed. Maybe I was young and since I didn't have children, maybe wasn't paying attention. In my experience though, usually people there are pretty good about honoring privacy, and they don't go out of their way to give you a hard time about what you are doing.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I'm Scottish although currently not living there. The law at home allows for public breast feeding anywhere the child (up to 2 years old) is allowed to be. Stopping or preventing a child being fed (either breast or bottle) is punishable with a £2,500 (about $5000 USD)

English law, I don't know. Scotland and England have seperate legal systems, different laws atc.

Areas to nurse a baby are like North America, it can be a bit hit or miss

Interestingly (or not) NHS Scotland just changed it breast feeding guidelines and now advises that babies should be breast fed till 2 years of age.

I'm English but also not living there at the moment. I'm not sure about the laws, but breastfeeding is fairly common and considered normal there. Most people I know breastfed, although only for about three months. I've not seen that many people nursing in public though. I feel British people are fairly private and conservative people, so if you try to be discreet I think it's unlikely anyone would say anything.

scotland and england have different laws, as mentioned in Scotland you are legally protected to breastfeed up to 2 years.

In England there is no such law. Recently, there has been something come in under the equalities bill, which means a woman has the right to bf a baby up to 6 months, but this does not mean that you can refuse to leave a place, it means that if you are thrown out of somewhere , then what you have the right to do is to go off and find yourself a laywer and then sue them, this law is basically about a womans maternity rights, hence why only till baby is 6 months old (but i believe it as all a bit vaguely termed anyway), there is a lot of campaigning at the moment for a law like scotlands...ie, not the mothers right to bf her child...but the babies/child right to be fed regardless of age.

there are some restaraunt chains and shops etc that promote being brestfeeding friendly withing England..but seems to vary from place to place, and even if a place says they are bf friendly, it isnt always filtered downt to staf, and there have been incidents of a woman being asked to leave quite rudely from various establishments. But obv these are the ones that makes the papers. Many other people i know of have never had a problem at all breastfeeding in public

this is an interseting article on it..

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ed-856087.html.
    Last edited by @llli*samj; August 14th, 2008 at 04:32 AM.
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start