Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New Mom Questions/ Challenges

Default New Mom Questions/ Challenges

I'm really happy to find this forum and am definitely in need of some advice. My/our current challenges are as follows - would love some advice and support....

My daughter will be 3-weeks old in a couple days. I'm sensing that she has some really gassy issues that might be more than what is common for newborns. And, I'm sensing that they might be connected to our breastfeeding.

Background:
    Started out strong in the hospital, milk came in well, but the middle of the first week, we were nursing like champs with lots of yellow poops, etc. She gained back all of her birth weight and then some by her 1-week appointment. By week 2, she was 3/4 lb over her birth weight.

But, she definitely gets pretty gassy during and after feedings and would spit up a bit. Feedings would often involve a bout of hiccups and a squirmy baby who looks really uncomfortable.

As time has passed, it seems like her symptoms have gotten worse - today has been the worst of all. Every feeding today has ended with tons of spitup and she's been very tense and stiff with lots of jerky movements.
    It seems to take at least an hour to calm her down after a feeding. Some feedings take a few hours to get past, which then just leads up to another feeding and more gas/spitup/hiccups/rigid and uncomfortable baby. She also makes a lot of kind of gasping/gagging noises when she isn't feeding. It is hard to see her so uncomfortable (and overtired) and I am convinced that there must be some answers out there.

I have been doing block-ish feeding all along.

Here is what I've considered...
    - My pediatrician said that her sucking reflex is good in the front of her mouth, but not in the back and that I need to position her so that her chin is elevated away from her neck. Have tried this for a couple days and am not sure if it's working.
    - I've finally started to feel let-down over the last couple days. Am wondering if there is an OALD issue going on. Yesterday and today have tried to either have her nurse sitting up or lean back to work against gravity. Still, we seem to be having even more spit up than before. Also, today I started trying to express a little milk into a towel before feeding. How much do I need to express?
    - Is it a dairy issue? How would I know?
    - What else should I be thinking about?

Please send me any and all insight.

Default Re: New Mom Questions/ Challenges

Are you doing single side feedings? You could have a lot of foremilk which is higher in lactose - I had this issue and by feeding one breast per feeding it did reduce somewhat. My LO improved drastically around 6 - 7 weeks of age and my LC felt that it was a combination of her system acclimating and my not offering both breasts at a single feeding. Hope that helps!
    Pam SAHMama of 2
    Laura, now a teen (9-19-95)
    Taylor, my little bean (5-26-08)
    I to , feed organic and cloth diaper

Default Re: New Mom Questions/ Challenges

- My pediatrician said that her sucking reflex is good in the front of her mouth, but not in the back and that I need to position her so that her chin is elevated away from her neck. Have tried this for a couple days and am not sure if it's working.
    I was going to suggest if possible for you to see a Lactation Consultant (with IBCLC creditials if possible)! There are exercises that you can do to help improve suck. This needs to be evaluated by a skilled person who works with breastfed babies and perhaps it's just something that will improve with time, but if not getting to work on it early will help.

- I've finally started to feel let-down over the last couple days. Am wondering if there is an OALD issue going on. Yesterday and today have tried to either have her nurse sitting up or lean back to work against gravity. Still, we seem to be having even more spit up than before. Also, today I started trying to express a little milk into a towel before feeding. How much do I need to express?
    Here is a really good article about oversupply/OALD. When your expressing into the towel it's just to get that initial spray. You might have to nurse for a minute then pop her off to catch it. Some babies will tolerate that and some won't! Your really just trying to eliminate the part of the letdown that's hardest for your baby to handle. Babies will grow into this when they get older, so you won't be doing this forever!

- Is it a dairy issue? How would I know?
    This would be a good question for the allergy forum. Really the only way to know is to either start a food journal documenting what you eat and your LO's behavior. And actually eliminating the suspect foods. Dairy takes 2 weeks to clear your system, some mom's find that just cutting back on it helps though.

- What else should I be thinking about?
    It really sounds like you've got a good handle on possible causes. I'd speak to an LC if at all possible, in person hands on help is priceless. Do you have an LLL Leader in your area you can contact? She's also a great resource to bounce idea's off of.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!