Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did my pump hurt my supply?

Default Did my pump hurt my supply?

My daughter will be 5 months old tomorrow and in the past two weeks I have noticed I do not feel as full. After a lot of research it seems this eventually happens. I have never had a problem getting out at least 5oz per pumping if not up to 8. Suddenly last week I am lucky to get out 2oz ever 2-3 hours. My daughter has been sleeping 10 hours a night since 9 weeks and now has now been waking up through the night ever 3-4 hours. I would BF her, but last night BF was not good enough so I had to use some of the freezer supply. My concern is even though I have a Medela PIS Advanced It seems to have lost some of its suction. I still get let down when I pump and it still seems to function ok, but I can't understand why I suddenly lost my supply. I mentioned my less full feeling to the pediatrician 2 weeks ago and she said that since the baby is 50th percentile there was no concern, but she had always been 75th percentile I am afraid she has not been getting quite enough for a little while. I bought Fenugreek today to try and I have been BF and pumping at least 10 times a day for 3 days with no increase. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have also heard that sometimes your body can no longer be fooled by a pump does anyone know more about this, do I need to rent a hospital grade pump?

Default Re: Did my pump hurt my supply?

What is your daughter's output? How many bowel movements and how frequently?

You said that her weight went from 75th to 50th percentile. What time period was that over? Did she gain weight during that time? I'm guessing that she gained, but not quickly enough to keep her in the 75th percentile. Are you comfortable with your pediatrician's statement that there is no cause for concern?

Hmm, tell me more about your baby and her feeding. Are you pumping because you are back at work/school? Or are you pumping for an occasional bottle?

What I'm wondering about is the purpose of your pumping. If you did not pump, would your baby be satisfied at the breast for 24 hours?

Since you started fenugreek this afternoon, let us know if you notice a difference within 24 hours.

As far as your pump, is it possible for you to talk with a local lactation consultant who sells and rents pumps to ask her what she thinks about how your pump is working?

I look forward to hearing from you!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMarianne View Post
    What is your daughter's output? How many bowel movements and how frequently?

You said that her weight went from 75th to 50th percentile. What time period was that over? Did she gain weight during that time? I'm guessing that she gained, but not quickly enough to keep her in the 75th percentile. Are you comfortable with your pediatrician's statement that there is no cause for concern?

Hmm, tell me more about your baby and her feeding. Are you pumping because you are back at work/school? Or are you pumping for an occasional bottle?

What I'm wondering about is the purpose of your pumping. If you did not pump, would your baby be satisfied at the breast for 24 hours?

Since you started fenugreek this afternoon, let us know if you notice a difference within 24 hours.

As far as your pump, is it possible for you to talk with a local lactation consultant who sells and rents pumps to ask her what she thinks about how your pump is working?

I look forward to hearing from you!
    She has 1 BM per day. over 10 weeks she went from 10lb 10oz to 13lb 2oz. I don't completely disagree with the Ped. because she did gain weight, but combined with the feeling that I am not producing enough the weight seemed to be another indicator that I may not have quite enough. I do pump because I am back at work full time. I pump 2 times in 7 hours. I have been trying to BF exclusively for the past 3 days (I BF exclusively on the weekends), but my biggest alarm that something may be wrong is she used to sleep for 10 hours no problem and starting last week she is waking up in the middle of the night to feed about every 3-4 hours. After BF one night she would not calm down so I gave a bottle of thawed milk and she drank 6 1/2 oz and went right to sleep. I will keep you posted on the fenugreek results.

Thanks! I have a better understanding of your situation now.

You said your biggest worry is that you may not have enough milk at night since your baby has started waking every 3-4 hours whereas she used to sleep 10 hours without waking, especially because she took 6.5 oz. from a bottle one night after you nursed her and seemed content.

I cannot explain that particular night; I can tell you that babies do change their sleeping and waking habits over time. Babies who slept through the night without waking, do sometimes start waking. And the other way around. So the fact that she is waking to eat during the night is not *necessarily* a sign of low supply.

Has her daycare provider noticed a change in the amount she takes while you are at work?

How long have you been back at work? If it is a relatively short time (maybe 2 or 3 weeks), I think it would be possible that your baby is adjusting to being apart from you and moving to "reverse cycling", i.e., getting the bulk of her feeding when she is with you (evening and night) and less when you are apart. Just a thought...
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMarianne View Post
    I can tell you that babies do change their sleeping and waking habits over time. Babies who slept through the night without waking, do sometimes start waking. And the other way around. So the fact that she is waking to eat during the night is not *necessarily* a sign of low supply.

Has her daycare provider noticed a change in the amount she takes while you are at work?

How long have you been back at work? If it is a relatively short time (maybe 2 or 3 weeks), I think it would be possible that your baby is adjusting to being apart from you and moving to "reverse cycling", i.e., getting the bulk of her feeding when she is with you (evening and night) and less when you are apart. Just a thought...
    Reverse Cycling is a very good point I had not thought about. There has not been a change in what she eats with her sitter, it has actaully stayed the same since I started taking her there for the past 12 weeks.

I'm having this same exact problem. My LO is almost 4 months and this is my 3rd week back at work. I was BF him and pumping one bottle a night before bed so that my husband could have a chance to feed him. He only wakes up once in the night around 3:00 am and then again around 6:00 am to start his day. I used to be a milk factory, easily pumping out 5-6oz in about 10 minutes using an Avent manual pump. Between feedings I would feel very full. At work now, I'm trying to pump three 4 oz bottles during the day (every 3 hours) but am starting to struggle to get 3. Should I rent a hospital grade pump or trying something to increase my milk??

Hi, wbmi, and

Some mothers find that their supply decreases when they return to work or school. Are you still able to pump enough to meet your baby's needs while you are gone, even though you are getting less than you used to?

Renting a pump might be worth a try.

Also, read other posts on this forum about ways other mothers have increased their milk supply.

Good luck!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Just a quick update, I have taken Fenugreek for a little over 24 hours now and I am getting an increase in milk I did feel much fuller this morning and was able to pump 2oz after BF this morning and 5oz 2 hours later but that was not with a BF. I have a call in to a local Medela retailer to see if they can help me with my pump, I might even try the soft fit breast shield since pumping is not all that comfortable. Oh and my daughter only woke up 1 time last night :

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carleysmom View Post
    Just a quick update, I have taken Fenugreek for a little over 24 hours now and I am getting an increase in milk I did feel much fuller this morning and was able to pump 2oz after BF this morning and 5oz 2 hours later but that was not with a BF. I have a call in to a local Medela retailer to see if they can help me with my pump, I might even try the soft fit breast shield since pumping is not all that comfortable. Oh and my daughter only woke up 1 time last night :
    Thanks for the update. It sounds like good news!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I'm having similar problems as well all of a sudden and am not sure what else to do. My son will be 4 months soon and within the last couple of weeks my supply has drastically gone done. I pump while at work every two hours but I just don't have enough supply when I'm feeing my son after work. I only pump at work to provide milk for daycare during the day and then nurse him in the evenings and on weekends. My supply has gone down so much that I have to give him 2-3 oz of formula after I nurse him for him to be satisfied. His sleep patterns have also changed. He's gone from sleeping through the night and needing his first feeding at 5 am to waking up 2 and three times a night wanting to eat. He doesn't care for formula and I really don't want to give it to him, but I haven't had much of a choice. I used to pump every 3-4 hours at work, but once my supply diminished, I increased it hopes of the correcting the situation. My supply increased somewhat, but I'm still struggling to get 3-4 5oz bottles for my son during the day. Any suggestions what else I can do???