Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fennel for increasing supply. Dosage?

Default Fennel for increasing supply. Dosage?

I have read many articles regarding using fennel to help increase supply.

Everything I have read about dosage was regarding tincture or tea, but I was wondering if anyone had a familiarity with the capsules. They are the only thing that I could find so I bought them, but I am not sure how much to take. The ones I got are 480mg per capsule.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Default Re: Fennel for increasing supply. Dosage?

The lowmilksupply.org site has info about fennel capsules:

http://www.lowmilksupply.org/fennel.shtml
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Thumbs up Re: Fennel for increasing supply. Dosage?

i use fenugreek (610 mg) from puritanspride.com (its the cheapest place to get it). and it works GREAT! i noticed a huge difference. i take 3 twice a day normally.

the upside: lots more milk, more sex drive, not as hungry all the time
    the downside: it makes your armpits smell like maple syrup and B.O. (but my husband doesnt mind and its worth it to continue BF'ing!)

good luck
    I'm Jamie, and im Proud to be:
    Carter's SAHM since 11-27-07 and now to Eli too, since 7-25-11
    Cody's Wife since 8-28-08

and and

my healthy boys don't get vaccines

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMarianne View Post
    The lowmilksupply.org site has info about fennel capsules:

http://www.lowmilksupply.org/fennel.shtml
    I read that before but I guess I am rather confused because it says to make the capsules (crushed seeds) into a tea. Can you just swallow the capsule? And what is inside my capsule looks more like powder than seedy at all.

I'm confused!

And yes, I have tried Fenugreek too (actually taking it right now) and the pancake smell is very funny! It does help, but I was interested in fennel because I read it can help with letdown with the pump. That is where I am having the problem with production, is at work.

Thanks ladies!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I added fenugreek to my arsenal and saw a good increase. I took the 610mg capsules - three of them three times a day. Once my supply was up I found that I didn't have to take them anymore.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Okay I'm too lazy to look this one up, but I'm sure that fennel is NOT used to increase supply but rather to help the letdown occur. Actually if you use too much fennel it will decrease your supply.

If you're looking to make fennel tea, put about a teaspoon in a baggie and pound it with the backside of a ladle. Or you can put the fennel in your coffee grinder. Anyways, get it crushed up as best as you can. Heat a mug of water to boiling then dump the crushed fennel in there and let it steep for about 10 minutes.

Then you have fennel tea!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I contacted Diana West about fennel capsules and tea. She is co-author of the soon-to-be-available book "Making More Milk". The lowmilksupply.org website is hers. Here's what Diana said:

"Tell her that the info on the site is old and will be updated shortly as a result of new research for our new book. Fennel is a mildly strong galactagogue, but more effective than fenugreek for some mothers. Capsules, which are generally comprised of crushed or powdered seeds, should be just as good as tea.

"I'm also wondering about the pump -- it's normal to have difficulty letting down to the pump (consider taking baby's dirty undershirt to smell while pumping), but it's also possible the pump isn't working well. Is it very old? Is it good enough quality? Do the flanges fit?

"I do have a whole chapter about making more milk when mothers return to work -- basically saying to check these factors, but with more info that may be helpful when it comes out.
    "

By the way, Diana is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC).

Hope this helps.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMarianne View Post
    I contacted Diana West about fennel capsules and tea. She is co-author of the soon-to-be-available book "Making More Milk". The lowmilksupply.org website is hers. Here's what Diana said:

"Tell her that the info on the site is old and will be updated shortly as a result of new research for our new book. Fennel is a mildly strong galactagogue, but more effective than fenugreek for some mothers. Capsules, which are generally comprised of crushed or powdered seeds, should be just as good as tea.

"I'm also wondering about the pump -- it's normal to have difficulty letting down to the pump (consider taking baby's dirty undershirt to smell while pumping), but it's also possible the pump isn't working well. Is it very old? Is it good enough quality? Do the flanges fit?

"I do have a whole chapter about making more milk when mothers return to work -- basically saying to check these factors, but with more info that may be helpful when it comes out.
    "

By the way, Diana is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC).

Hope this helps.
    Thank you so much for the info! I used to bring his clothes to work with me and for some reason I just started forgetting to do that! I will start again right away.

My pump is actually brand new. I just bought a new Medela hospital grade pump to replace my rental. I replace the valves and membranes about every 4 weeks.

I'll just keep chowing down on the oatmeal and Fenugreek, drinking lots of water, and I'll try the fennel and the shirt.

Thanks so much for your help!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

That's good to know, the Kellymom info on Fennel must be old that's where I read it.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Just an update:

Taking the fennel and it has been working really well with the letdown. I totally notice a difference in milk flow when I pump. (I have never been able to feel letdown with the pump)

Because there was never an exact idea of how much/many capsules to take, I just take 1 capsule 3x a day. It seems like a lot less than even the tea "recipe" but is working well. The only thing (and I read this so I was prepared) is that I am hardly ever hungry now. (which may be a good thing! ) I do have to remind myself to eat...but at least it has helped cut out a lot of unnecessary snacking!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel