Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding Frequency for 11 week old?

Default Feeding Frequency for 11 week old?

My 11 week old has gone from nursing every 2 hours for 40 minutes to every 3-4 hours for 20 minutes. We haven't had a weight check recently but she still seems to be gaining, but I'm nervous due to previous weight gain issues... Does this reduced frequency and duration seem right?
    Pam SAHMama of 2
    Laura, now a teen (9-19-95)
    Taylor, my little bean (5-26-08)
    I to , feed organic and cloth diaper

Default Re: Feeding Frequency for 11 week old?

Sounds exactly like my daughter (12 weeks old)! Does your baby seem content? Oh, and did this change happen overnight or gradually?
    Last edited by @llli*rorysmom; August 12th, 2008 at 05:16 PM.

She does seem to be content - I'll try latching her on if I get worried that it's been too long and after a few minutes she'll pull off or start smiling & playing. It seems to have happened in the past week or two but I think I'm just noticing it more this week because I've been writing down her "schedule" to try and get her naps more regulated... She's a notoriously bad daytime napper (30 minutes max) and I'm trying to get her to take fewer, but longer ones. If your 12 week LO is doing the same maybe this is just about the age they start to get more "efficient!"
    Pam SAHMama of 2
    Laura, now a teen (9-19-95)
    Taylor, my little bean (5-26-08)
    I to , feed organic and cloth diaper

Rory has been getting more and more efficient lately. (I have a rented Medela Baby Weigh scale so I know how much she gets.) In the past couple of weeks she has started getting 3.5 or more ounces every single times she eats. She used to get in the 2 ounce range. Perhaps your baby is doing the same!

my 4.5 month old nurses about every 2 hours-ish and he is completely finished in about 5-7 minutes They become quite efficient as they get older.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet