Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not sure if my 10 mo is getting enough food or BM

Default Not sure if my 10 mo is getting enough food or BM

Hi Ladies,

My LO is 10 months old. I am not sure if she is eating/drinking enough. She old takes only one 10 oz bottle at day care, doesn’t like juice, and takes very little water from a cup. She pretty much hates bottles. At home she is nursed on demand. She has cereal with BM and fruit for breakfast and I send a cube of home made baby food with a meat (this week its chicken/sweet potatoe/apple) and another with a veggie (she doesn’t always finish this one) and a yogurt (also doesn't finish it). She doesn’t usually eat much at dinner time. I offer her some but she doesn’t want it. My worry is that she isn’t getting enough milk at day care and that at home she isn’t eating more or at least that is what they say in the AAP book I was reading. Should I try to give her other liquids or BM from a cup? Her poop is sometimes dry.

Also, she has two teeth. Am I really supposed to brush them after she BF at night? That is how I get her to sleep! And, she nurses on demand at night b/c we are cosleeping. Help!
    Last edited by @llli*Tadpoles-Mom; August 12th, 2008 at 12:51 PM.

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

Default Re: Not sure if my 10 mo is getting enough food or BM

How often is she nursing @ home. You said she is nursing on demand so I bet she is getting enough. I wouldn't go through the hassle of pumping bm for a cup at home when you could just nurse her. You could always just keep a sippy of water around.

As for the solids I wouldn't expect her to eat very much at 10 months. It's more about experementing with food than it is about the volume they eat.

I try and remember to brush my son's teeth before bed but I forget a lot.

I just noticed you are co-sleeping and bf during the night. I bet she's getting enough!

Could her dry poops possibly be r/t a food she ate recently that was constipating? Bananas perhaps?

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Are you guys on the path to weaning at one year? I'm only asking because much of the advice for solids is that you will wean a baby at a year and so solids are really pushed sometimes.
    Really before a year, she just needs your milk. Let her tell you what she wants to eat, this will set up good eating habits for later and she will trust her body to tell her when she's full.
    10oz for daycare sounds like a good amount, usually it's 1-1.5oz per hour your away from her. Nursing on demand while your at home will ensure she's getting a good amount.
    How are her wet diapers? That's a good indicator of how hydrated she is.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Thank you for responding. I was having computer problems and could not come online. I do not intent on weaning yet although there are pressures at work (b/c I pump) and even the pedi. My husband is supportive as is my family. My LO shows no signs of wanting to stop. In fact, she likes BF more than eating at this point. I am just concerned she isn't getting enough food.

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

I brush lo's teeth before bed, but never worried about trying to brush after bfing. I'd have been up brushing teeth all night!

I stopped pumping at work after a year- pressure from work was part of it, but she also stopped taking bottles at day care. Maybe that's a solution that would work for you once she's a year old.

I think as long as you are nursing her on demand when you are with her she is fine. Especially if her wet diaper output is good and her weight gain is fine.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

How often would you say she nurses at home?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hi, I also cosleep, and breastfeed during the night. I did some research on this site because I was worried and thought maybe I was doing something wrong and heading down the road to cavities. I feel more comfy now knowing that breastfeeding isn't a total factor to cavities, and the suggestion is to brush twice daily. My babe falls asleep on the breast and will no other way so you can imagine I was quite relieved with this...

Ditto, there is some great information on this site about dental caries. For instance, see this article:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBSepOct02p164.html

Personally I am more concerned about doing a good job brushing off solid foods (e.g. sticky raisins) than b.m. My son hated it, but we have been diligent about the pre-bedtime brushing and more recently morning brushing, and so far no problems (he's 2.5).

I would try not to worry too much about meeting "targets" for solid food intake, as others have said - as long as she is nursing well and has lots of wet diapers. Lots of foods are constipating, especially iron-fortified cereal. If you are really concerned, I highly recommend the book My Child Won't Eat by Carlos Gonzalez - it is very reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    How often would you say she nurses at home?
    Tonight as an example: I get home around 5:45 p.m., she had a little bit of dinner (not more than two tablespoons) nursed at 6:30 p.m. and then again at 9 p.m. and now she is asleep but has latched on another two times. Should I take her off? She would stay on and drink when she wants but I worry about the cavities.

My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

From what I've read, most of the cavity issues are for bottle/formula fed babies that fall asleep with a bottle in their mouth and the formula continues to come out a bit and pool around the teeth. Also, the formula is more prone to promote cavities when just sitting on the teeth because of the content. Breastmilk, on the other hand has antibacterial qualities and does not continue to pool out while nursing so it's not supposed to be as much of an issue. I'd still brush before bed (after last solids), but wouldn't worry about night nursing being a problem. JMO...
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...