Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teeth hurt...what happened? sorry long

Question Teeth hurt...what happened? sorry long

I am so proud of myself for making it to 1yr and since then (Friday ^_~) dd2's has been using her teeth. Like resting with pressure around my nipple/areola area. I have a sore that looks like it was bleeding or oozing. I just know the nipple hurts to touch. I have not nursed on it since midnight and I almost cryied. I feel dd2 doing the same to the other breast. What do I do if both breast get this sore.

I know breastmilk will heal it well but what about nursing. I am just now getting alittle engorged(sp) but not painful just full...kwim. Do I nurse dd2 on that side anyway or do I let it rest some more? Is it normal for some kids to use their teeth out of the blue while nursing? What can I do to fix it?

Dh feels it is time to stop, but can not understand why not cold turkey. I told him there is mastis(sp), clogged ducts, server engorgment, emotional issue with dd2 not understanding. Am I wrong? Other than a mom needing rx is there cold turkey okay?

Plus, dd2 has a rash on her torsol which I have no idea what from.

It is like she turned one and POOF new problems.
    Please help. I called a LLL at 930am and still waiting for a call back. I am about to call my ob/gyn but not sure if that is the right person to call.
    TIA
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Default Re: Teeth hurt...what happened? sorry long

Well, I called my dr and he has me on antibiotics to prevent any possible infection since the sore keeps opening up when I nurse dd2 on that side. Then talked to me about weaning and taking the rx and weaning us all up to me. Right now nursing on the right is not easy. Dh told me to try pumping to see if it helps or hurts.

OUCH!!!! I feel your pain, dd has had a few bouts of biting but fortunately not that bad, hope someone can offer you some more help. All I can offer is sympathy But I would definitely talk to a lc &/or try to give it a few days before making a hasty decision to wean, they change so uickly it would be a shame if this was just a brief episode or something that's easily resolved. If you can pump wo/ pain, maybe you can use expressed bm in a bottle a bit to let yourself heal. Good luck!
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

New teeth can cause some issues, and painful ones for sure. Sorry to hear about your discomfort. Sounds strange but you can use Orajel ( for teething pain ) on the area on your breast before you nurse. Once the teeth dull down some the wound will heal. Switching positions so the tooth isn't lined up on that spot should help but LO may be resistant to change. Cold Turkey weaning isn't great for all the reasons you mentioned. If you want to wean it should be slow to prevent issues. Hang in there with the teeth it does get better
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

You are not wrong...all the reasons you mentioned are valid reasons for not weaning abruptly.

There are ways to prevent/stop biting and keep the nursing relationship going, if that is what you want...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab...les-older.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html

What worked for me was to gently push ds into my breast with gentle pressure, everytime I felt the clamp coming. He associated that uncomfortable feeling with biting, and stopped. I also said, "no, that hurts mama, gentle"

Also, what worked for me when my nipples were cracked/sore was cold pressed olive oil. It was not only soothing, it helped them to heal quickly, and worked great for me...just something you might want to try. Hope this info helped

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

The cold olive oil sounds like heaven right now.

She is not really biting it is the way her teeth are laying on the breast while she nurses. Plus, she has had her teeth since May, so they are not new.

I did finally get to talk to a LLL Leader and she said when they cut molars they tend to hold the breast in their mouth differently which might cause some issues with teeth.

I found a trick today for the right breast (the one not hurting, yet) I kind of squish my areola so she gets a little more in her mouth. Felt a little better so when she ways tonight I will offer her the sore breast and see if I jump off the couch or not.

I have tried changing positions but we are too comfortable the way we nurse we could not handle the change...KWIM.

The LLL Lender will call me on Friday to see if I am surviving or not. I have picked up the rx, because I do not feel the sore is that bad. I figured if it is going to get worse then I will get the rx....KWIM

Anywho, it hurts to touch the nipple it even hurts with a bra or pjs touching (not bad enough for a shield but mmmm almost).

So, we will see.....olive oil cold could great I stuck ice cubes in my bra today....felt great. Like the days I had frozen cabbage leaves to dry up milk.

I have been bit hard enough that it bled and I used lanolin to help it heal. I have noticed lately that DS is kinda in a hurry when he latches on so he is not always latched as well as he should be and it hurts. So I make him stop and relatch. What about AF? Since my periods have returned I cannot stand to nurse for a week or two every month. I continue to nurse but it is very uncomfortable.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I never noticed the AF connection if my calendar is right I think I am suppose to start this weekend. I do feel better not as tender, but sore...kwim. She did nurse from it finally and I got her to latch on better.

I was getting worried when she would not nurse from me for almost 10hrs.
    Anywho, just hoping things keep healing. I keep putting bm on the sore it is looking better.