Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mucus / Phlegm

Default Mucus / Phlegm

I think this has been brought up before, but I can't find it now.

My LO is having trouble breathing through his nose because of a lot of mucus. We use the saline drops and aspirate about 4 times a day. It clears it up enough for him to nurse without much difficulty. The problem is that it's a never ending cycle. Take some out, he cries and then there's more later. There also seems to be a problem with phlegm. I know LO isn't taking in as much milk as he used to because of the breathing issues. We've tried different positions too but it's not much better.

Has anyone had experience with removing phlegm? We're ok with the nose and we're doing research on which humidifier to get, but what should we do in the meantime with the phlegm. I've already asked the pediatrician and he wasn't much help ...

Default Re: Mucus / Phlegm

Assuming your issue is related to a common childhood cold and not some other issue, it sounds like you're doing the right things already.

Does your baby cough to get the phlegm loosened up and out of there?

Other than getting a cool mist humidifier and doing what you're doing, as well as maybe raising the head of his crib mattress so he sleeps with his head elevated, I don't have any other suggestions to offer you. That's probably why your doc. didn't have other suggestions either. Sometimes you just need to keep baby comfortable, monitor them, and let these things run their course.

Default Re: Mucus / Phlegm

How old is your LO?

I remember the doc. saying that increased mucous is pretty common in the early days, but DD's continued for several months. That's around the time we discovered she had a dairy sensitivity, and that it could cause increased mucous. We cut out dairy and the mucous cleared. Now we only have to use the saline drops (breastmilk works too!) once or twice a month.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.