Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumped milk vs. solids

Default Pumped milk vs. solids

I have been lucky enough to be able to go and feed my 8 month old one time each day since he started daycare at 4 months. It is starting to get harder to make it to the daycare each day. So far he has been having two bottles of pumped milk at daycare and two solids and then the one feeding that I come and give him. Even with pumping three times at work I do not have enough to send him with three bottles each day. I have been telling the daycare to give him an extra solid each day when I cannot make it to feed him. Is this okay? Is there a better way to work this out?

Default Re: Pumped milk vs. solids

Can you tell us more about his whole daily schedule... How often does he nurse when he's at home? How long is he with the DCP? How much is he geting in the 2 bottles? What solids is he getting/how much?

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

He nurses once sometimes twice between 5am and 8am when he goes to daycare. He is at daycare until 5 or 5:15 pm. When he comes home he nurses right when we get home and then at least one more time before bed. He usually wakes up to nurse at least once before 5am. His two bottles at daycare are only 3oz or 3.5 each. He does not want more than this at a time. His growth has been okay, he is small but seems to be pretty steady in the same percentage area he has been all along. He has had a couple periods of time when he was not gaining as fast as his ped. would have liked but he was dealing with terrible ear infections for a couple months and his wieght seems to be doing better now. At daycare he has 2 solids or like I said sometimes 3 if I am not able to feed him on my lunch break. If he has three at school I do not give him any at home. If he has two and wants more I offer one more in the evening. It just depends on him.

Hope that this helps fill in the blanks. Thanks for any help!

does it make any difference if you pump during the time that you would have been going to the daycare to feed him, so in other words adding one pumping session?

Thanks for responding to my post too. I also pump three times a day and wasn't getting more than two bottles. I work with a lactation consultant at the hospital in my town and she's awesome. She's given me the following advice which has helped me pump another bottle: In the morning when I get up or the baby gets up and wants to nurse, I put her on one breast while I pump the other breast. If we cosleep at night, I sort of favor one breast for most of the night and then save the other for that morning pump. The baby's suctioning on the one side increases your let down and produces more milk. During the day when I pump three times, I double pump which has the same effect - when you get a let down on one side the other side also lets down providing more milk. Then once nothing else is coming out I pump a bit on each side individually to make sure they are drained (massaging the milk out). At night when the baby goes to bed I pump again. This was crucial when we hit about 8 months cause my milk was going down (goes along with introduction of food). This gets me just 2 ounces but that's half a bottle. I've now added something new once or twice a week during that nighttime pump - I power pump (which I read about in a LLL magazine). I find an hour long show, set my pump up, and pump during commercials for that hour (even if nothing comes out I do the entire commercials). This helps boost your milk supply. Finally, a take 3-4 capsules of Fenugreek three times a day which is an herb that you could find in your healthfood store or whole foods market. It also helps build milk supply. With all of this, I send her with 3-4 bottles of milk each day and since she doesn't drink more than 8 or so ounces I often come home with a bottle that wasn't used so I can reuse it the next day.

Also, on weekends, it is crucial that you pump in the morning and in the evening (again would be good in the morning if you put your baby on one side). This will help with your milk supply.

If all else fails, and I've never tried it, you could have a real breastfeeding weekend and breastfeed every two hours and then pump for 10 minutes after each feeding. Apparently that really pumps up your milk but again I've never tried it.'

Oh, and make sure you are eating lots of protein (whole milk, etc...) and drinking tons of water. I forget sometimes and I can see a big difference in my supply.

Finally, you may try having your daycare provider give your baby some plain yogurt with fruit or veggies once or twice a day. You can even have it mixed with cereal. A four ounce plain Yo Baby Yogurt (no sugar with plain) equals the amount of protein the baby will get in a bottle of milk. I give mine that every day for lunch and may add another one.

Just remember you are doing the best you can.

thanks, that Yogurt tip was helpful. I can only find the fruit varities in our stores though.

Yeah, the only place I could find the plain Yo Baby yogurt was Walmart and Ukrop's (a gourmet market). With the fruit is fine though. You just get the sugar, but at least you'll get the protein.