Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipation, and more constipation

Default Constipation, and more constipation

LO is six months. Been on solids for a month, though at the beginning was very marginal. LO usually gets one solid a day, sometimes two. We started with rice cereal, progressed to other baby foods. LO is constipated off and on all the time. I limit cereal to every two or three days between servings, because I thought that would help, and he LOVES the cereal. I was going through that only offer one food at a time for several days thing, and he got constipated on the banana run. Now we rotate foods every day, and per Doc I make sure he only gets a food that would constipate about every third day. They told me to give him juice 2-4 oz two times a day. If he has that much juice twice a day, he will knock out at least one nursing session, which I won't do.
    I am using a powdered magnesium that you mix with hot water, and adding this to the juice. It is the only natural way I know of to help with this. It is something he needs in his diet anyway, and tends to be lacking in most american's diets. It is very safe, and has no side effects, other than lose stools. I will not put him on Miralax, which is what many babies that are ff have to have every day. They don't want me giving mangnesium, but would prefer a laxative? Makes no sense. Anyone else out there with advice?

PS we decided to start baby on solids because he seemed developmentally ready, very interested in our foods etc. He usually eats his whole serving of baby food now, with nursing afterwords.
    Proud Mommy of Zachary Patrick 02/11/08
    1 month
    2 months
    3 months
    4 months
    5 months
    6 months

Overcame relactation, started EBM in bottle at 3 1/2 weeks, and started nursing at 10 weeks!

Default Re: Constipation, and more constipation

Has he had prunes? Prunes ALWAYS work for us. But watch out for blow-outs!

I only give about a third of a container (#1) and that does the trick.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

what types of soilds are you giving?
    Dr sears has some good info on constipation on his web site....
    http://www.askdrsears.com/

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

juice isn't very good for a baby that age.
    fresh fruit has more fiber and that what he needs to help him poop.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Has he had prunes? Prunes ALWAYS work for us. But watch out for blow-outs!

I only give about a third of a container (#1) and that does the trick.

DD (7 1/2 months) has been on solids for about 1 1/2 months. She has seemed constipated the last several days, only the tiniest bit of poop once or twice and it was very formed. So today I picked up a packet of dried plums (prunes) at the store, pureed them with some water (to get the consistency right) and DD had about a tablespoon. Three hours later she pooped.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I'll share with you what I'd do if it were me.

Being that he is only 6 mo, I'd hold back on solids for the time being and continue with just nursing sessions to allow his tummy to "equalize", so to speak. Then in a month or so start again with whole foods...

Additionally, *I* wouldn't give anything 'extra' to combat an issue that is easily resolved (by removing the solids).

FWIW - constipation is hard, pellet like poops. The lack of frequency/amount of time that passes in between movements does not constipation make

Last edited by @llli*number3; August 12th, 2008 at 02:30 AM. Reason: add the words "lack of" & "movements" to make statement clear
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I would eliminate the foods you KNOW are constipating him. He doesn't need rice cereal or bananas so why do all the work to be able to keep feeding them when you know that if you eliminate then the constipation will go away?
    Beyond that, the P foods always keep things moving. Prunes, Pears, Peaches, Plums.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Beyond that, the P foods always keep things moving. Prunes, Pears, Peaches, Plums.
    just where i was headed
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Flax seed oil mixed in applesauce does the trick for my lo.. its a good source of fats too It can act as a natural laxative
    Keep it ( the flax seed oil) in the fridge though

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

prunes & pears & lots of bm...
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Little one has not recently had bananas or cereal. Saturday he had peaches. Sunday he had his juice and carrots. Monday was green beans and juice. Today was juice and pears.
    I am going to buy the prunes and try that. May make a run to the store later.
    I don't want to cut out solids completely, because LO started waking up in the night again, right before we started solids, and he seems developmentally ready for them. He still nurses at least eight times a day. I really don't want him nursing more than that if necessary, because I gradually want him to take a little less milk so eventually I can wean him. I have had major OS issues. He also likes the foods, and some mommy's wait a long time and then babies don't want solids at all. There is a good window of time right now when he is still flexible, and does seem ready for solids. I have issues with my system also, and I don't think delaying solids will solve the problem in the long run. I also had these issues when I was little a lot. Unfortunately magnesium is the only thing that helps me. Bran and fiber don't always help.

I will try prunes and see what happens!
    Proud Mommy of Zachary Patrick 02/11/08
    1 month
    2 months
    3 months
    4 months
    5 months
    6 months

Overcame relactation, started EBM in bottle at 3 1/2 weeks, and started nursing at 10 weeks!