Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Guilt about weaning

Unhappy Guilt about weaning

This question may be a little premature for my situation but I have been thinking about it lately. I have 3 girls--DD1 is 7, DD2 is 3 and DD3 is 4 mo. I weaned DD1 at 15 mo and DD2 at 14 mo. I am thinking ahead to when it will be time to wean DD3 and I feel like I should not be weaning as soon as I did my other 2. I remember when I weaned DD1 and she didn't like it too much but I was really ready to be done. DD2 didn't seem to mind too much but our nursing relationship wasn't the best(had alot of problems). I feel now like when I get to around the same age that my other 2 were weaned that it will be too soon for DD3. Almost that I should do child-led weaning and not be selfish just b/c I am ready for some freedom. I guess I just am looking for some insight on this situation(in advance), it has really been in my thoughts lately. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Guilt about weaning

You might check out Mothering Your Nursing Toddler and How Weaning Happens. Both are good reads about how nursing changes as your lo gets older. You might find that you can find a happy medium where you have enough freedom to make your happy and you are also able to meet your lo's nursing needs at the same time. Good luck with your journey! And remember, you don't have to decide right now--you can see how things go.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Don't feel guilty about your other two. I know I'll do some things differently with my next baby. We learn from our past experiences. Is this your last child? That could be part of the reason you are feeling this way as well. IMO 14 and 15 months is something to be very proud of, not to look back on with regret

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Is this your last child? That could be part of the reason you are feeling this way as well.
    This is my last one. I never really thought of it that way before. That's probably why I'm thinking about it so soon. Thanks

I think I understand how you're feeling. I weaned my oldest at 6 months. I originally planned to nurse DD1 for 1 year but when the time came I knew she wasn't ready. Here we are at almost 3 years and she is still nursing once per day. I wouldn't have believed it 2 years ago! But I know I've made the right choice.

I plan to nurse DD2 as long as she wants. She might be my last baby, but we're not totally sure yet.

I still feel some guilt for weaning DS so early, and for some of the other parenting choices I made with both of my older 2 that I wish I could do over. But I know that I can't and I did the best I could at the time.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on