Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: more milk from one breast

Default more milk from one breast

I have a 5 week old and have been pumping for a bit over two weeks now and have found that I consistently get twice as much milk from my left breast than I do from my right one - generally about twice as much from the left.
    It doesn't concern me so much about pumping but it makes me wonder if the baby is getting less when she feeds from the right breast (or maybe too much when she feeds with the left).
    She's been gaining weight appropriately and has all other signs of being healthy and happy, so perhaps it doesn't matter. If I weren't pumping I wouldn't even know that this was happening, but I just wasn't sure if I can or should do something.

Default Re: more milk from one breast

My left breast was always like that - and I just quit pumping a couple of months ago at 16 months pp. I think it's totally normal and I've seen several posts here that indicate that. I used it to my advantage later on - left was the "big gun" and right the "little gun" - when dd2 needed more comfort nursing it was time for the little gun - when she was really hungry and we needed to get going, the big gun. However, at 5 weeks, you need to stimulate both equally. I'm sure your lo is getting plenty

Default Re: more milk from one breast

Thanks! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this and that it's likely fine. I try not to get too caught up with what's normal, but sometimes it's hard as a new mom not to worry.