Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleeping through the night...

Default sleeping through the night...

My 10 week old has slept through the night (about 8pm-5am) the past 5 nights. He is going almost 10 hours between his last night feeding and his early morning feeding. Should I pump in the middle of the night? He seems a little young to be going 10 hours and I am afraid my supply will go down just when he decides not to sleep through the night anymore!

Default Re: sleeping through the night...

If is is causing you to become engorged adn uncompfy i would say go for it, but otherwise, enjoy your nights of uninterrupted sleep!!
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

Knock on wood momma cause this sure isnt gonna last You shouldn't need to pump unless you want to stock up on milk. IMP I would want to stock up on sleep while you can. Your milk will adjust to what your baby needs. And when your baby starts to wake agian your body will be able to adjust then too. Good luck and congrats on your wee one!
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Just wanted to see if anybody has expirienced the same as me.
    my baby started sleeping from 12 am till 6 am from 6 weeks. Now we are 2, 5 months and for the last 5 days have been waking up every 2 hours. I cant do this anymore; During the day she eats ev ery 3 hours or so( no schedule,but thats when she gets hungry)
    I was thinking maybe my milk is changing to more mature milk and she just doesnt get full
    p.s. she has doubled her weight by 6 weeks,so weight is not an issue here.
    Please help. I was thinking its a growth spurt,but its been 5 days now.

My lo is 11 weeks and sleeps through the night as well but I'm usually up about 30 minutes before she wakes up because the pain of the engorgement is so great that it wakes me up! She sleeps from 9 p.m. to about 5 a.m. So I get up and pump a little at around 4:30ish. I pump just enough to relieve the pain and so my lo won't choke on the letdown! My lo feeds from 5 to about 5:25ish.

My supply is just fine. It's not an oversupply and I'm pumping (at work) the same amount that she is fed by my DCp (about 15-20 oz a day) so I'm ahead of the game!

If you can go through the night without the pain of engorgement then don't worry about pumping just get your rest!
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beshka View Post
    Just wanted to see if anybody has expirienced the same as me.
    my baby started sleeping from 12 am till 6 am from 6 weeks. Now we are 2, 5 months and for the last 5 days have been waking up every 2 hours. I cant do this anymore; During the day she eats ev ery 3 hours or so( no schedule,but thats when she gets hungry)
    I was thinking maybe my milk is changing to more mature milk and she just doesnt get full
    p.s. she has doubled her weight by 6 weeks,so weight is not an issue here.
    Please help. I was thinking its a growth spurt,but its been 5 days now.
    It's hard to handle nightwaking when you've been used to sleeping. Sadly though, what you're describing is completely normal baby behavior. Their sleep cycles change aLOT in the first year. Just when you're used to one thing, like sttn, then baby changes his/her mind and starts nightwaking.

This nightwaking has NOTHING to do with the quality of your milk though. Remember that. It's all about development.

Prime times for nightwaking are times during growth spurts, times during big developmental jumps(like learning new skills like rolling over, sitting up, crawling, standing up, walking...that kind of thing) and during teething as well. It can also be that with all the activity of the day, some babies need to eat a little more at night for awhile. I remember when little George was about 7.5 mos. old, that he started night waking continuously because he was practicing his new standing up skills in his sleep. It woke him up in the middle of the night.

Check out Dr. Sears' resources: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070200.asp and http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp

Also, be on the lookout for your baby wanting to cluster feed in the evening. Remember to feed on cue instead of on a schedule, and if baby wants to nurse every hour or 45 min. in the evening, to let her. Some babies like to nurse a ton in the evening so they can sleep a bit longer at night. If a person follows a strict schedule and doesn't allow for times like that, they can sometimes miss a baby's cues to fill up so they can sleep longer...thus making them super hungry in the middle of the night.

Thank you, I will look for some cues tonight. Maybe she is giving me signs, but I think lets wait,have a bath,play,eat and then she will be tired and sleeping. It maybe my mistake and I should just feed her and not think of a routine at this point.thanx

Thanks for the feedback about not pumping at night. I think I'll probably stick to just relieving the engrogement for the time being. Everyone says STTN won't last anyway :-( Actually, I miss it a little bit. He is not a very good eater and the middle of the night feeding was his best one.