Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump weaning, need advice

Default pump weaning, need advice

I have been on summer vacation with DD (12mos) for the past 8 weeks. I have returned to work full time today. Now that she's 1, I am looking to pump wean. Since I haven't pumped for the past 2 mos, I'm not really sure how to begin. DD typically only nurses once during what would be my normal work hours. But I noticed today, that at 11/11:30 (when DD would nurse down for a nap) I'm not feeling even close to being full. So, should I wait until I start feeling full to pump or should I pump at the time I'd normally nurse and just pump less?

BTW, when I was pumping 3x's a day I would typically get the same amount out of both sides. When I pumped today one side was only 1/2 as much as the other...is this typical? One side was 4oz, the other 2oz. The 2oz side was last nursed on 4:30am, the 4oz side at 7am. Should I be concerned that this side is becoming a poor producer?
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: pump weaning, need advice

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    pump at the time I'd normally nurse and just pump less?
    Based on my experience pump weaning - that approach seems best to me.

IMO it's pretty normal to not feel "full" when nursing an older baby. I can't remember the last time I had that "full" feeling and there is definitely milk whenever DS nurses.

Your supply is likely fine - pumping is always less efficient than baby, and its been awhile since you've pumped.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)