Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often to eat and when to worry??

Default How often to eat and when to worry??

I know babies eat "on demand". Problem is...she doesn't demand to eat that much!!

For example...I nursed her yesterday at 830am. She slept all through Sunday School and Church. We got home and by 1pm she hadn't woken up or "demanded" to eat. So I stripped her naked and nursed her. She ate again around 5 and then again around 7. She nursed again at 10pm. I went to bed around 1030pm and woke up at 4am to Shiloh screaming in my face that he wanted to watch The Backyardigans...at 4am!!! She had never woken up to eat between 10 and 4. So I woke her and made her eat at 4. Its 8am now and she still hasn't woken to eat. So when do I worry?? That's only 6x in a 24hr period.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Default Re: How often to eat and when to worry??

i think i posted about this when i first brought KA home. it's weird having such an easygoing baby. is she having enough wets?
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

I think the rule of thumb is 8-12 times per 24 hour period until at least 6 weeks. You may have to wake her every 3 hours or so It's important for her, but also for your milk supply (are you tandem nursing?). Also, like pp asked, how is diaper output?

Every baby is different (sounds kind of blah because we say it so much ) and from the very beginning my ds2 went 5-6 hours at night without waking. He would go longer stretches in the day as well, but I was told by my doc to wake him at 3 hours if he didn't wake on his own during the day, and go "demand" during the night (until he started to demand more )

btw, Joey is absolutely adorable!!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks guys. She's wetting and pooping anywhere from 8-10x a day. Its obnoxious...she wets through a PF in a little over an hour. Anyways...I'm going to feed her at 9, 12, 3, 6, 9, 12...etc UNLESS she tells me she wants to eat sooner. I worry that she isn't getting enough even though I KNOW she is wetting enough.

We are not tandem nursing...and all I have is a hand pump...so I can't pump a whole lot during the time she isn't nursing
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I'd offer as much as you want to, but I'd let my DD go at least 4 hours before worrying.
    I also admit, once my milk came in and my DD was sleeping 5+ hours at a crack at night, I let her sleep! She was cluster nursing in the evening before she went to sleep.
    Try not to stress. Watch your baby, not the clock, honey.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post
    Watch your baby, not the clock, honey.
    I know, I know But its so hard. She really doesn't demand much of anything from anyone...she's so laid back and easy-going. She NEVER cries.

I don't know what to do with an easy baby Weird

**Leslie**

Mama to:

I feel you. My 2 DDs were night and day. Or maybe I should say DD1 was up all night and day and DD2 slept 20+ hours a day as a newborn.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Man, Colton was just. . . like. . . that. I remember posting here in a PANIC because he had slept through the night (and I mean like 8 hours) at 5 days old!

with the PP, mama Watch your baby, not the clock.

My biggest worry, actually, was that LAM would fail me since he didn't nurse that much the first few weeks. But not to worry. . . he picked up the pace (not like he really had a problem anyway, having never lost any birth weight). She probably will too.

The easy baby freaked me out too. But it is such a nice change. Enjoy it (while it lasts)
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

exect her to change.

What I would do with my dd lay out 6 diapars in the am.
    If she hadn't wet them all by supper time.
    We would camp out on the couch after supper and I would try and get her to nurse extra.

It sounds like she is doing fine!

I WISH she'd only go through 6 diapers a day, LOL! I had PLANNED on washing every other day...but I have a wet bag that is busting at the seams after just 1 day!

**Leslie**

Mama to: