Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning from Nipple Shields?

Default Weaning from Nipple Shields?

I am helping my friend learn to breastfeed. Bless her heart, the baby was not latching right and she had terrible bruses and bleeding nipples by day 5 (when I found out). They had started supplementing formula. I encouraged her to pump every two hours after trying to nurse and to supplement only her breastmilk. She was able to pump 3 oz every two hours!

Anyway, Saturday the baby latched with a nipple sheild and has had no more bottles since!

Next step... How does she get rid of the nipple shields?

Default Re: Weaning from Nipple Shields?

Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

She can try nursing for a few minutes with the shield and then remove it and get the baby latched to the breast.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

to pp, but it does take time. i had to use a NS until dd was 3 months old, then she would only take the bare breast if she was really hungry. it took time but now i can't get her off me Just tell your friend that it will get better but at least she won't have to pump as much...

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

I used nipple shields until my baby was 5 weeks old due to latch issues. My LO had a small mouth, receded chin, and would not stick out his tongue. And to make things even worse, I had flat nipples! Once he got the hang of nursing, I would start out using the shield and then remove it a few minutes into the feeding. It took many, many tries before he would latch on without the shield, but when he was 1 day short of 5 weeks, he finally latched onto me and never used the shield again. Persistance is the key! She can also pump for a couple of minutes prior to nursing to get her nipple to stand out better (if that is an issue). Tell your friend to be patient and her LO will catch on. My LO nurses like a pro now; you would never even know he ever had trouble with his latch.