Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: change Pump?

Default change Pump?

Hi everyone, This is my first post but I have been lurking for a while now and everything I have read has helped me a lot. I love this forum.

I have a 3.5 month old baby girl, I breastfeed her exclusively and she weighs about 15.5 pounds already so I know I have a good supply. The problem is that when I pump I only get 1 or 2 oz (this is in the morning, I get less if I pump at night). I am using the Medela Swing Single electric breast pump.
    Does anyone has any experience with this model? Should I upgrade to the Pump In Style to get better results?
    I cannot rent from hospital because I live in Costa Rica.
    Mommy to Mia - 4/17/08

Default Re: change Pump?

Are you feeding your lo before you pump? If you're not missing any feedings with your lo, I think 1-2 ounces extra is a lot of milk. And it is very common to have more milk in the morning than night. Can you let us know if you're just pumping to have extra on hand or if you're missing actual feedings because you're away or something? Thanks!
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

If you are really interested in upgrading your pump, you can find a used Medela Lactina hospital grade pump on ebay for generally the same amount as a new PIS. I have never had any luck with anything but a hospital grade pump.

Good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

My LO is almost 4 months old and I'm using a hospital grade pump. I usually get 1-2 ounces when I pump also, because he gets most of the milk when he nurses. The most I ever get is 3 ounces in the middle of the night. Sounds like your pump is working well.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

One to two ounces after nursing sounds great! Keep up the good work, momma!
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008