Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help..pumping exclusively and worried about supply

Default Help..pumping exclusively and worried about supply

I need to increase my milk supply. My daughter is 5 1/2 weeks old and 9 lbs. I have been pumping to give her breast milk via bottle because she refuses to nurse from my breast despite my best efforts and much to the consternation of my lactation consultant. She knows what to do she just won't do it.

She was born via c-section due to my rising blood pressure. I had a lot of difficulty with the anesthesia and spent a long time in recovery. Also, she had low blood glucose at birth so they had to bottle feed her immediately. I did not get to attempt to nurse for almost 24 hours and she was bottle fed and finger fed during that time.

When I pump...which I do every 2-3 hours...I am getting appx 1/2 oz from my left breast and 1 to 2 oz. from my right. Her appetite has increased and I have had to use the small amount I had managed to store just to keep up with her. At this point I am only one feeding ahead of her and I REALLY don't want to have to give her formula.

I have always been 100% dedicated to breastfeeding and now I am beginning to feel like there is a conspiracy of the universe to keep me from doing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Help..pumping exclusively and worried about supply

Have you seen this resource? If not, do check it out when you get a chance and let us know if it helps!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I started off nursing then exclusively pumped for 3 months and just got her back to nursing again last few weeks! I had major issues with supply in the beginning and my LO had jaundice so we started supplementing her with formula and got up to about 30-50% formula supplementation along with breastmilk for about 3 weeks while pumping the entire time religously. However, I was very very unhappy about supplementing her with formula so I was on a mission to get my milk supply up. With recommendation from LC, I took Fenugeek 5 times a day (full dosage every time) in conjunction with Brewer's Yeast. My supply did go up but slowly. I asked my Dr about getting on perscriptive drugs Reglan which is known to increase milk supply and I did this for about 1.5 weeks. However, I did not notice big difference between Fenugeek/Reglan so I went back to Fenugeek because Regland has side effects I did not like. After about 2 months of pumping 9-10 times a day + Fenugeek, my supply was up to a point that my LO can have 100% breastmilk! In fact, I had too much so I have 100+ oz in the freezer now. Keep trying and be patient, you will get there!!

Question Re: Help..pumping exclusively and worried about supply

This is contrary to everything I've ever read, but here's what happened to us. I was pumping around 30oz per day (8 pumps per day). We went to a wedding one evening and I missed one pumping session. When we returned and I pumped - I got a TON (but had to dump for the first time since I had two drinks ). Then LO slept until 3:30 that night (instead of 2), so I was late again pumping. Since then I've cut back to 6 pumps a day and now get at least 40oz per day. Yesterday was 44oz. I have no idea why this is. Each session takes longer to drain the breasts but my body has adjusted and it's working out great. Again, not sure why this is... has this happened to anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elis-mom View Post
    This is contrary to everything I've ever read, but here's what happened to us. I was pumping around 30oz per day (8 pumps per day). We went to a wedding one evening and I missed one pumping session. When we returned and I pumped - I got a TON (but had to dump for the first time since I had two drinks ). Then LO slept until 3:30 that night (instead of 2), so I was late again pumping. Since then I've cut back to 6 pumps a day and now get at least 40oz per day. Yesterday was 44oz. I have no idea why this is. Each session takes longer to drain the breasts but my body has adjusted and it's working out great. Again, not sure why this is... has this happened to anyone else?
    Yes, I was able to cut back sessions and get more at each session. It's a little different though, because I got the same amount pumping less often, not more.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I started to build my supply with the most basic of interventions and worked my way up to pretty much max force. Here was my progression; you may find some things here that work for you. I'd also read up on the LL website on the FAQ link about low milk supply.

1- rented a hospital grade double electric pump (Medela Symphony)
    2- continued to drink lots of water
    3- ate well (three balanced and snacks)
    4- slept each time the baby slept (really, each time)
    5- spent lots of time holding and snuggling LO with skin to skin contact(she hated the sling so we just sat a lot)
    6- oatmeal at least once per day
    7- pumped every three hours for 20 minutes (even if there was nothing coming out)
    8- use Fenugreek seed caplets, max dosage for a couple weeks (3 cpasules 3x per day)
    9- got a prescription for Reglan (did two rounds)

I was able to increase to more than 32oz per day.

Hang in there, and I hope you find some approaches that will help.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008