Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Great supply but baby is not able to get much milk out....thanks for any help!!!

Default Great supply but baby is not able to get much milk out....thanks for any help!!!

Hi and THANK-YOU for any help! I am desperate!

Here's my situation. Baby is almost 2 weeks old. Is not gaining weight properly -was 7 '10 at birth and now is only 6'13. I have talked to my ped who said its normal (?). What confuses me is is he has LOTS of wet diapers - about 8 a day - and dirty diapers too - 2 to 4 per day. If I didn't have the scale (which I know is correct, its a $3000 scale, my dh uses it for work) I wouldn't be worried. I can def tell he has lost weight, his face looks skinnier,etc. I have started supplementing by spoon feeding him breastmilk, which is a pain, but I can't risk using a bottle was my son had severe nipple confusion and I ended up exc pumping for him. (That's another story.)

I have done before and after weighs at feedings and he is only getting about 3/4 to an oz out! Sometimes less. He seems to get more when I do breast compressions.

I KNOW my supply is not low, as I am able to pump aLOT after feedings - several ounces worth.

Is it possible he simply can't get the milk out very well?
    His mouth is very small and I have very large and flat nipples. the hospital lc basically said my nipples make bfeeding harder but not impossible.

I'm wondering if I'll have to EP again. I really don't want to but I will if necessary

We go to the ped this week.

I wenr ahead and ordered a lact aid. I called to order and spoke with the inventor's wife and she was incredibly informative and friendly.

Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Great supply but baby is not able to get much milk out....thanks for any help!!!

What was babies lowest weight which is sometimes caleld a discharge weight?
    were you given any IV fluids?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: Great supply but baby is not able to get much milk out....thanks for any help!!!

hi there!
    if the baby is feeding on demand and has enough wet diapers i think everything is probably ok. even your ped said so, right? it is normal for babies to lose some weight initially and then gain it back. are you having any nipple soreness? have you contacted an LC?
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

it's normal for baby to drop some weight right away. He should gain it back in a couple of weeks . I would continue to watch diaper output and offering the breast as often as he will take it.

How is his latch? is your nipple shaped differently when he's finished than it was before he started his nursing session?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

THANKS for your fast responses! The discharge weight was 6 lbs 15 oz. I had a c-section, I did have an IV but it wasn't started until about 90ish minutes before, would that matter? For the record most of the umb cord (where its still long and they clamp it) was still onwhen they weighed him........

I guess what worries me the most are the before and after feeding weighs....

No nipple soreness, but yes my nipple is definitely shaped differently, squished like lips or so after a feeding........

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*meghan629 View Post
    No nipple soreness, but yes my nipple is definitely shaped differently, squished like lips or so after a feeding........
    Here is a great link with some latching videos (the videos are on the right hand side).

and fwiw, a lot of LC's wont even do a pre/post feeding weighing.

are you offering both breasts or just one? Because if baby isn't emptying the first breast, it's probably better to keep him on that breast until he is full, kwim?

If I were you, *I* would keep an eye on diaper output, weigh him every 2 or 3 days, and make sure he is getting that fatty hind milk by allowing him to feed for as long as he wants on that first breast (making sure the breast is soft and squishy before offering the second breast)

~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks for your responses.......... I think I need to change his latch, I posted a separate post on it..