Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a Baby Latch on If They're Not Hungry

Default Will a Baby Latch on If They're Not Hungry

Hi Everyone,
    I'm new here. My DD is 3.5 months oldI have been dealing with low supply for while now so I'm pretty insecure about wether or not my DD is satisfied after a feeding. I try putting her to breast quite often when I think she may be hungry. She always latches on, but sometimes pulls off. I'm not sure if it's because she's not interested or because I don't have enough milk. I don't want to give her a supplement if she doesn't need one, and I don't want to underfeed her either. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Will a Baby Latch on If They're Not Hungry

what's her diaper output like? how many wets per day?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

How do you know you are dealing with low supply? (Just trying to make sure you have good information.)

You cannot make a child nurse if they aren't hungry, but some will latch on and nurse for comfort.

Does she seem content or is she fussy?
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I always get at least 6 wet diapers (I stop keeping track after 6) It is usually 6 though. She has a dirty diaper every other day.

I know I have low supply because she lost weight (6 oz) by her two week appointment. They had me supplement. Wether or not I had a low supply then, I'm not sure, but thanks to the supplement, I have a low supply now. It's been getting much better lately. I have drastically cut down on her supplement, but I worry about under feeding her. I have a hard time relying on diaper output because in her first two weeks she had a good diaper output and she still lost weight.

Oh and she does seem content she doesn't cry very much and she loves to smile.

The less you supplement the faster your own supply will increase. How has her weight gain been since then?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Is she getting a supplement now? That might be taking the edge off her hunger before nursing.

The weight she lost, was that from birth or from the time you left the hospital? Because it is perfectly normal for newborns to lose up to 10% of their birth weight.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xerex View Post
    Oh and she does seem content she doesn't cry very much and she loves to smile.
    That's a good sign.

Just to answer the question in your title, yes, a baby may latch on when not hungry. My DD usually latches on at least for a little while even if she only takes a few sips. It is great that you are offering the breast often as this will really help increase your supply, even if your DD doesn't drink very much...it will still send a message to your body to produce more milk. I know that since you cut down on supplementing, that you will probably be more anxious about whether or not she's getting enough. I felt the same way when I was trying to get my DD off the nipple shield. I was really used to seeing that overflow of milk in the nipple shield and so when it wasn't there to see anymore, I worried. You are used to knowing how much is going in your DD, but now you can't. The best indicator of whether or not she's getting enough is diapers, which it sounds like she's doing fine there If you are worried, ask her pedi if you can go in for a weight check. It is also a great sign that she seems content and happy during the day It sounds like you are doing fine Oh, also, your DD is coming up on the age where a lot of babies become way more efficient and a lot more curious about the world around them...this can often lead to shorter nursing sessions and worried mommies

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

The weight loss was from her hospital discharge. Her birth weight was 7lb 14 oz. I was on an IV and she spit up a lot of colostrum and uterine blood in the hospital.
    The weight now actually concerns me because. I have a scale at home and her daily weight for the past week lingers between 11.06 to 11.11 oz. Today she weighs 11.9 oz. I know I shouldn't be weighing her everyday but since her supplement intake has decreased dramatically, I worry. Her weight on 7/7 was 10.9 oz at the Dr's office so she's gaining on the low end.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far!