Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: oversupply/OALD or other issues?

Default oversupply/OALD or other issues?

Does this sound like we're dealing only with OS and OALD or might there be other things to consider? I have been block nursing to the extreme to try to control things (one side for day, other for night), but am not seeing any improvement so far (dd is 6wks old and I've been block nursing since she was born, though not always for so long).

Here is the situation:
    ~ dd nurses every 3-4hrs during the day
    ~ She finishes nursing in 5-10min and gulps most of the feed
    ~ Sometimes she gets fussy and uncomfortable at the end of nursing, pulling up her legs and squirming
    ~ She's incredibly gassy and often wakes at night with gas; sometimes she is falling asleep at naptime but then wakes just before going into a deep sleep with her eyes wide open and trying to pass gas
    ~ She's hard to burp and gets hiccups after most feeds
    ~ She's fussiest in the morning and passes lots of gas; sometimes she gives a shrill pain cry but she's usually easy to settle, regardless of the time of day
    ~ She doesn't spit up much but does do some swallowing between feeds (I can't tell if she's regurgitating anything at these times, it doesn't seem to bother her when she does this)
    ~ She doesn't mind being flat on her back but she does sleep best on her tummy
    ~ She naps 45min-4hrs at a time, his longest nap being in the early afternoon, and will sleep a longish 3-4hr stretch after going to bed at night, unless woken by gas
    ~ She seems to want to nurse about twice a night (I had nursed her more often because she I nursed when she woke with gas, but now dh is trying to help her go to sleep at these times and I'm nursing when she truly seems hungry). Unfortunately, her straining, grunting and groaning has meant our co-sleeping wasn't working out so I'm in another room for the first half of the night until she wakes for her first feeding.

Anyway, does this all sound like it could be OS/OALD related? Reflux was and is a concern but I know that it can be confused with OS, but what do others think?

Any suggestions for how to tame my supply?

Default Re: oversupply/OALD or other issues?

Hopefully we can help . Many of the things you mention are "typical" but often in conjunction with other things, they can be concerning - so I understand your wanting to find an answer.

As I read through I was thinking this could be reflux ...

but I have another question first - actually 2...

Why were you block feeding from birth???

What do her poops look like?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My first thought was reflux, actually.

What makes you think you have OS and OALD?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Really, does it sound like it's just reflux? The lactation consultant and LLL Leader I met with both thought it was oversupply. I had the same problem with ds (which is why I started block nursing with dd from the start). She doesn't really have many reflux symptoms that are that clear to me, and I know my supply is intense because she's gulping the whole time and filling up quickly.

Please let me know what makes it seem more like reflux because I'm so unsure at this point.

Thanks!

The following quote can be found here

Common infant GERD symptoms are:

Frequent spitting up or vomiting
    Over half of all infants will spit up at some point during their first three months of life. Referred to as "happy spitters," they usually don't require treatment, and will usually outgrow this. For some infants, however, this spitting up, or reflux, is severe and requires treatment.

Irritability when feeding
    This irritability includes whining, crying, screaming, and fussiness, which can last for varied amounts of time. This irritability can stem from the burning sensation and pain in the esophagus when formula and stomach acid is refluxed into the esophagus.

Refusing food or eating only small amounts
    Infants may refuse to eat if pain occurs when they swallow. This pain can be caused by the irritation in the esophagus when formula and stomach contents are refluxed back up into the esophagus.

Arching the back while feeding
    When babies are experiencing abdominal pain or discomfort, they will often arch their backs or draw up their legs.

"Wet" burps
    When a baby has a "wet" burp, a small amount of liquid is regurgitated as he burps.

Frequent hiccups
    Hiccups can be triggered by the stimulation of nerves found in the upper part of the stomach or lower part of the esophagus. The vagus nerve, which runs from the brain to the abdomen, can become irritated. This irritation can come from stomach contents entering the esophagus.

Frequent coughing
    A frequent cough may occur if refluxed stomach acid is aspirated, irritating the airways, or when the stomach acid irritates the throat.

Poor sleep habits with frequent waking
    When an infant is sleeping and his or her head isn't elevated, this allows stomach contents to press against the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), and can cause it to open inappropriately. When stomach contents are refluxed into the esophagus, it can cause coughing and a choking sensation, which in turn can make sleeping more difficult.
    does any of this sound familiar?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    The following quote can be found here

does any of this sound familiar?
    Among those, the only thing dd really has is the frequent hiccups. Sometimes she gets gussy at the ends of feeds but I attributed that to the lactose overload and gastro-colic straining.